WTB: custom N64 controller with a fully customized and reworked dpad

hello, i am a speedrunner and have been tortured for a long time by the n64 dpad, which i find to be extremely horrendous and faulty for a number of reasons, but mainly the inconsistency in the strength required per input and how using it in certain sequences alters the strength required for future inputs. i know there's probably a more consistent dpad out there somewhere, but i don't care and want to take it to the next level since i doubt a master race dpad exists. i'm looking to create a dpad which is very sensitive but requires consistent strength, as well as limited influence on pressing one direction compared on the others(which i intend to make up for through sensitivity). it needs to be able to handle at least 16 button presses a second in a single direction and have a strength sweetspot which allows me to spam that fast. the sensitivity i'm asking for will not be consistent unless you create a new design for the dpad itself, and i have some pretty clear ideas on what shape to give this dpad. i will discuss it further if there are any takers. i only expect quality work, and am willing to pay a decent amount for this job if it's done properly( >150 dollars).

Yeah, I've clocked my peak capacity of Dpad movement at 12 button presses a second so far but intend to still improve my hand speed once I have an adequate controller(hence why I want it to be capable of withstanding much higher speeds).

i'm not quite at the level of the video you posted yet, but i intend to be.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I'm not interested in taking on the challenge myself, but I do have some ideas. What about reshelling an N64 controller in another controller? Is there another controller you would rather play with if it functioned as an N64 one? Like a snes or wii classic controller pro? That might be a lot easier than frankencasing in a new dpad.

I'm not interested in taking on the challenge myself, but I do have some ideas. What about reshelling an N64 controller in another controller? Is there another controller you would rather play with if it functioned as an N64 one? Like a snes or wii classic controller pro? That might be a lot easier than frankencasing in a new dpad.
maybe, i'll get back to you when i've tested them to be sure. but i have some lingering memories attached to some prejudice of mine for the classic pro(i've only picked it up a couple of times), and the snes controller is definitely an upgrade but i doubt it's the level of upgrade i'm looking for

the reason i think this requires more than a basic thing is because i want to be able to rest the weight of my thumb on the dpad and have to barely apply any strength to press an input when i choose to, but without me dragging my thumb on the dpad causing any inputs. this means the design has to eat any excess strength of an angled drag directed towards the non edges of each direction(weight of thumb + friction), since a thumb is big enough to do this

there's a good 30% chance the n64 controller will also do an up input if i apply strength in this direction at high enough speeds, even though my thumb is nowhere close to the up input.