Would a Sega Nomad rechargeable battery pack work after 22 years?

My dad insisted we got the rechargeable one over the normal one, but will it still work, never-before-used, just now out of the box, after 22 years? Please give me an answer. If not, is it easy to replace the battery? Thanks.

BocuD

Portables
Thats hard to say without any more information. I do think it will work, however it will probably be severely degraded. I would just try to charge it and see what happens. It it even gets a little bit warm immediatly stop charging though. Also, is that box still sealed? If yes it may be worth a lot of money.

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
My guess would be probably not. If it was manufactured over 20 years ago, it might not work at all, work for a short time and stop, or not hold a charge for long.
Personally, I'd rather custom build a rechargeable battery for it than use an old one. But if you really want to know, there's only one way to find out :)

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If it doesn't work, I think I remember there being tuts on how to replace the old pack's cells with new li-ions. If you live in the US, it shouldn't cost too much to get some stuff from batteryspace and upgrade it. Alternatively, most any 7.2v-7.4v battery pack should work.

Doom

Modelrater
Estmemed Member
Portables
Always 1/2
It probably doesn't, or work well even if it does. No reason to use NOS anyway with the advancement in technology.

No, it will not work well at all. Probalby has 1/4 its original charge capacity (they are Ni-Cd cells).

You can open it up and order replacement cells, install them, and have it working just like brand new.

I owned a Tek handheld oscilloscope for a while that had a totally ruined custom battery pack. I ordered 4 new sub-C NiCd cells (had to match chemistry because the charger was designed around them) and it worked great.