Worklog World's Smallest Gamecube

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
would it be safe to use an AVE from a 6 layer board? it would it have to be four layer AVE, for a four layer board?
I don't see why it shouldn't work. It's using the same DAC-Chip & i even used the pinout of the 6-layer wii a lot when doing this mod (https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1086 - thanks ashen)

I didn't use a 6 layer wii ave because the pinout of the vias is a little different , so it's easier to mix pins up while soldering (and I'm just lazy). (See Analyzing the Wii's Video Encoder - thanks shank)
Plus i hate those... i tried to OMGWTF trim two of them & couldn't make one work... <.<''

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
All Aves have the same pinout, so it wouldn't matter much if you use a 4 or 6 layer one

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
It's good to know that they're the same. When I opened the 6 layer up, the AVE chip had totally different writing on it from the 4 layer one, plus the different board layout so I didn't want to risk it :)

Can I ask why you use epoxy instead of hot glue? Is it considered more durable? And what kind of epoxy

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Everybody has their own preference :) hot glue is a lot easier to remove, but it also has some give, meaning the wires can move a little bit. Epoxy is never gonna come off without ripping the wires out, but it prevents the wires from moving entirely.

I personally prefer epoxy because I'm confident in my soldering joints and tested it beforehand so I know the pinout is correct. Everyone has their own style though :)

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
FINISHED!

I've neglected this worklog a bit, but here's what happened since last episode:

I finished the tiny gc, but when spawning (not booting) into games, it would freeze. So I scrapped the motherboard and started over. I redid the NAND using @Aurelio's flex board and it was a huge improvement. I did the AVE the same way as before and trimmed, this time with full success.

I have been scrambling for the last week and a half to get this project finished in time for MGC, and I'm proud to say that I made it by a few short hours.

Features:
-Fully compatible with all Gamecube games, no lag
-4 working mini controller ports (currently no rumble support)
-2 USB ports hidden in the memory card slots
-Outputs composite video via 3.5mm jack
-Powered by a micro USB port and can be easily powered by most battery banks
-Working power button/locking switch, which is a functioning miniature of the regular size one.
-A trimmed down authentic Gamecube heatsink
-Functioning orange power led, made from an authentic gc power led and the clear plastic piece above it
-Gamecube fan vents that are the actual fan vents
-Super adorable

PICS
Screenshot_20190411-021029.png

20190407_141329.jpg
20190407_141339.jpg

20190407_182145.jpg
20190405_210807.jpg

I don't currently have pics of it with the heatsink, but this picture describes how I felt while trying to figure out keeping this cool.
20190407_180151.jpg

Anyways here's the reveal video :) Enjoy!

rcb123

If you ran GameCube controllers through the same 4 pole 3.5 mm you used for composite, could it support rumble?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If you ran GameCube controllers through the same 4 pole 3.5 mm you used for composite, could it support rumble?
Yep; logic, 3.3v, 5v, and ground can be supplied sufficiently to one controller by a 4 pole jack. You'd just need to make 4 separate controller port to 3.5mm adaptors.

All your portables always look so clean! And dang does that Gamecube look small when compared to the Wii heatsink.

Portables
This is freaking amazing! Good job! I like how the button even works XD. Good job!

I had to remember my login information after seeing your video on YouTube just to comment and again it looks fantastic. In regards to your first post about making a mini gameboy player to go with it and assuming you want it to be functional, I'm sure you could stuff a retrode or similar device inside the mini gameboy player portion to enumerate the rom and eeprom/flash sav data as a FAT32 storage medium via usb and fire them up with the wii port of mgba.

Since I purchased my gameboy player years ago I've never disconnected it from my gamecube. Without it connected the gamecube looks weird as it isn't a symmetrical cube whereas with the gameboy player connected it's much closer to a perfect cube.

also if you tear apart an av hdmi adapter for wii you can make it hdmi by removing the av part and connecting with wires to the motherboard

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
also if you tear apart an av hdmi adapter for wii you can make it hdmi by removing the av part and connecting with wires to the motherboard
it would probably have been a space constraint. also, please don’t double post. the edit button is there for a reason.

Tony39

Salve ne ho fatta anche io una wii portatile e ho un problema con il s-video che lo vedo disturbato nella TV e possibile che siano i regolatori ?? Grazie

Hi, I also made a wii portable and I have a problem with the s-video that I see disturbed on the TV and it is possible that it is the regulators ?? Thank you