Worklog World's Smallest Gamecube

Discussion in 'Wii' started by Madmorda, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Nold C L U B C L A M S H E L L Staff Member . .

Portables:
    4 + 1*π
    I don't see why it shouldn't work. It's using the same DAC-Chip & i even used the pinout of the 6-layer wii a lot when doing this mod (https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1086 - thanks ashen)

I didn't use a 6 layer wii ave because the pinout of the vias is a little different , so it's easier to mix pins up while soldering (and I'm just lazy). (See Analyzing the Wii's Video Encoder - thanks shank)
    Plus i hate those... i tried to OMGWTF trim two of them & couldn't make one work... <.<''

DeoNaught likes this.
  2. cheese the tallest memer in town Staff Member . . .

All Aves have the same pinout, so it wouldn't matter much if you use a 4 or 6 layer one

3. Madmorda Painting Queen Staff Member . . .

Portables:
    It's good to know that they're the same. When I opened the 6 layer up, the AVE chip had totally different writing on it from the 4 layer one, plus the different board layout so I didn't want to risk it :)

4. nitroboy720 .

Can I ask why you use epoxy instead of hot glue? Is it considered more durable? And what kind of epoxy

5. Madmorda Painting Queen Staff Member . . .

Portables:
    Everybody has their own preference :) hot glue is a lot easier to remove, but it also has some give, meaning the wires can move a little bit. Epoxy is never gonna come off without ripping the wires out, but it prevents the wires from moving entirely.

I personally prefer epoxy because I'm confident in my soldering joints and tested it beforehand so I know the pinout is correct. Everyone has their own style though :)

nitroboy720 likes this.
  6. Madmorda Painting Queen Staff Member . . .

Portables:
    FINISHED!

I've neglected this worklog a bit, but here's what happened since last episode:

I finished the tiny gc, but when spawning (not booting) into games, it would freeze. So I scrapped the motherboard and started over. I redid the NAND using @Aurelio's flex board and it was a huge improvement. I did the AVE the same way as before and trimmed, this time with full success.

I have been scrambling for the last week and a half to get this project finished in time for MGC, and I'm proud to say that I made it by a few short hours.

Features:
    -Fully compatible with all Gamecube games, no lag
    -4 working mini controller ports (currently no rumble support)
    -2 USB ports hidden in the memory card slots
    -Outputs composite video via 3.5mm jack