Question Working Wii trim continuity issues

Ok so I recently just completed my first Wii portable and it worked, but had some small stuff to try to fix.

Went back into it to properly connect the red line for VGA and troubleshoot why audio was not working, but now I have this issue where I have continuity between 1.8v and ground as well as between 1.15v and ground.

During the process of me turning it back on to see if the red line was properly connected, the wii turned on and then immediately shut off. So I started checking stuff out again and found that I had continuity between all of my VGA lines and they're respective ground lines. Figured I'd disconnect all the ground lines for VGA and see if the wii would turn on.

Same thing, immediately shuts off.

I've disconnected everything from the wii and checked my resistances against the Nold trim resistance guide, and they all still check out. I do have continuity between 1.8v and ground as well as 1.15v and ground, and I know their resistances are relatively low and could cause a meter to beep, but I'm not sure why the wii is refusing to even stay on.

Is it possible my trim is dead even though it had worked before?

Should be of note that originally the wii did not have proper connection with the heatspreaders, but the wii never stayed on for longer than a minute or 2 before turning off on its own due to the RVL-NTC. I've since corrected the issue though.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, because I have no idea why this kind of thing would happen.

Currently the wii is completely disconnected from everything, still have continuity between the aforementioned points, but my resistances between everything checks out.

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
Pictures of everything (your wii, the rest of the portable, wiring etc) are needed to help you out here. As you mentioned, continuity isn't what matters, it's resistance. As long as you're getting appropriate resistances on the 1v15 and 1v8 lines, you're good there. As for the Wii turning on and then immediately off, is it actually booting, or is it just the screen coming on and off? The screen will turn on and then off if it's not receiving a signal, so it's not exactly an indicator of if the Wii is actually booting. If you're not getting any video output from VGA, I'd try composite, just to see if it's a VGA wiring issue before anything else. But again, pics of everything might point out something obvious.

So I don't have any pictures of what it was like before I disconnected everything, and now the wii is if I had just trimmed and sanded it. The whole of the system just shuts off if the voltage lines are connected to the Wii with nothing else connected (ie no video, no U10, no SCW/SDW, no USB).

When the wii isn't connected however everything works as it should, the PMS Lite is outputting proper voltage to everything its supposed to be outputting.

I may pull everything out of the case and just try to connect it all at a later date like I did when I first trimmed the Wii just to see if anything changes.

Oh yeah that's too low. Charge those bad bois up!
Got it, so is there a chance that I just ruined all my progress ?

That my wiring was fine, I just didn't have the proper voltage on my batteries?

They're 2 Samsung 21700 9.8A 5000mAh batteries.

CrazyGadget

Portables
???
I wouldn't say ruined all your progress, but my best guess is that it was just dead batteries. I'm not sure what the exact voltage is, but the PMS cannot operate when the batteries are below a certain threshold (somewhere around 3.3-3.4V).

Alright, well, idk what's up with my trimmed wii, even after charging and re-doing all of my VGA lines, still can't get the display to work. I even bought a new driver board to see if that was the issue, but to no avail.

CPU and GPU get sort of hot, but nothing crazy.

Voltages are as follows:

Both batteries = 4.06v

1v = 0.99v (not sure if this being .01v less than what it's supposed to be is an issue)
1.15v = 1.15-1.19v
1.8v = 1.82-184v
3.3v = 3.31-3.35v

U10 and Mode pin are the same as the 3.3v line.

Tried composite video, all I get is a greyed out screen (which is different from the normal display of VGA [which ends up just being blue with "VGA" in the top left])

At the very least, the system doesn't immediately shutdown after power on anymore, so that's good.

Will provide some pictures of the front and back of the board in my next posting.

Pictures for the above post.

Maybe I'm missing something, but idk.

Should be noted that I soldered to TP47 for getting the Mode pin to have 3.3v, idk if thats an issue.

My display will turn on for about 5 seconds then it turns off (presumably because I don't have signal)

Originally had VGA lines for R, G, B, soldered to pins next to C58, C60, and C89 respectively, wanted to try a different point in case for some reason those pins were an issue.

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Did you disconnect 3.3v from mode when testing composite? Composite output is disabled when mode is shorted to 3.3v

CrazyGadget

Portables
???
Did you manually switch the screen to AV1 / AV2 when testing composite? That screen doesn't auto source iirc. I also don't remember if both of those composite lines work, so make sure to try both.

Did you manually switch the screen to AV1 / AV2 when testing composite? That screen doesn't auto source iirc. I also don't remember if both of those composite lines work, so make sure to try both.
I did manually swap the screen over to AV1 when testing composite, but I will try testing AV2 in case the other one doesn't work.

Unfortunately AV2 provides the same result as the AV1 channel (greyed icon in the top left reading AV2, and black screen) Though just like AV1, the display does not turn off like VGA does.

CrazyGadget

Portables
???
Looking back through your photos, I don't see any wire between the mode via (or tp47) to 3v3, unless it's just out of shot. Mode needs to be wired to 3v3 for the wii to output VGA. For composite, just leave it floating.

Did you have it wired up when testing VGA?

Looking back through your photos, I don't see any wire between the mode via (or tp47) to 3v3, unless it's just out of shot. Mode needs to be wired to 3v3 for the wii to output VGA. For composite, just leave it floating.

Did you have it wired up when testing VGA?
Ya, so TP47 is just out of the shot, and I've verified that the mode pin is at 3.3v when the system is powered on.

Idk whats up with this one, probably something really dumb that I messed up on accident and it just doesn't want to display anymore.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Ya, so TP47 is just out of the shot, and I've verified that the mode pin is at 3.3v when the system is powered on.

Idk whats up with this one, probably something really dumb that I messed up on accident and it just doesn't want to display anymore.
Sadly that happens sometimes