Working log for Summer Bitbuilt 2019 Building Contest~

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
I’m not too entirely sure what I’m going to be doing for this Contest, most likely a portable, and wii. This first worklog will be for me going through Idea’s, and what’s done.

So far I haven’t gotten too far in anything, I have a couple of Case Idea’s, I have this one, Pretty much done, The only problem is that it doesn’t look nice, Sanding it is kind of hard, because it’s rubber, The Gamecube controller is all wired up though, just need to wait for my Solder braid to come in, so I can un short a short.

It was my first/second-ish time franken casing, It looks ugly, but I honestly love it, it’s comfortable in the hands, and surprisingly sturdy. The Epoxy I used, when dried/cured is rubbery, which doesn’t fare well for sanding. I wet sanded it a little bit, but it’s gonna take up a lot of sand paper. It’s pretty much a back up, incase I don’t get my other case 3d printed, but last resort, is still last resort. (there's a worklog for it somewhere)

I had thought about modelling it in cad, and then gluing it to another gamecube controller, but that was harder than it sounded, atleast for me, because it didn’t turn out the way I wanted it to. The faceplate is okay, but the back was no fun, and no work. But the Concept I did in MSpaint doesn’t look too shabby.

Untitled.png Capture.PNG

This second one is from my Squiifer worklog, I wouldn’t mind finishing it for the contest, would look hella nice. I would have a couple Revisions for it though.

First; Usb C Implementation. This at first seemed very daunting(but a feature I’ve always wanted since before the switch) but using a chip(STUSB4500) Gman and Aurelio suggested, intergrating usb c into Gman’s battery board is litterally just two wires lol. And I already have Schematics and notes for using a usb drive with the usb c port aswell, so it already takes out the need for another slot. Here’s pictures of Progress, it’s from a couple days ago,

upload_2019-5-17_13-16-19.png

I’m at the point of adding components for the Usb Switching.

The Case itself is going to need a rework I think, because I want my usb c port at the bottom of the case, makes it look a little bit more official. Only problem is that the wii ventilation is there, so I’ll need to flip it pretty much, Haven’t looked into placement much yet, so I don’t know, I might be able to cram it ontop of it.

Here’s pics for anyone who forgot it, there’s a few updates since my last post on the thread

upload_2019-5-17_13-16-39.png
upload_2019-5-17_13-16-51.png

The most prominint change is that the fan vent is in the middle, instead of off of the side, which made it seem lop sided. Oh, also better Shoulder buttons.

The second main thing that I can thing of to change is the audio, I want to use Aurelio’s Amp, because it’s super cool, and it does cool stuff. Instead of using a boring old regular amp, that can blow up my headphones and make me sad. I’d also like to find a better place for the Speakers(the two little holes in the front bottom of the case), I think they are fine there, but I’d rather a spot that looks a little better, and sounds better.

Here’s the planned internals if anyone’s curious.

upload_2019-5-17_13-17-42.png

The store ran out of about everything I needed, so I ordered stuff for some GC+’es, I also ordered a programmer, might aswell bite the bullet now I guess. Hoping to sell the other two if I can find anyone interested.

If I do find people interested, I’ll use the money to print my case, and some more PCB’s. (or maybe I’ll get more comissions :eyes: )I’m hoping my Heat gun gets replaced eventually, they sent me some more parts to replace it, if it doesn’t work this time I’m going to ask for a refund. This has been going on since the end of March lol.

Okay, last part of this work log.

Color schemes, and theme in general.

I’m aiming for a vaporwave / Lo fi, because I’m addicted to that stuff. My main plan for right now, is make a vaporwave theme, or just a lofi one, and use a cool color scheme I found on twitter, go check their stuff out, it’s really cool
I test painted today, and here they are (still wet, they will look better when dried)

20190517_103826.jpg 20190517_124559.jpg

That’s it for now, did you enjoy the text? And reading? Or should I do shorter work logs with more pictures? Don’t be afraid to let me know :3

Portables
So it won't let me edit this picture in, but here's the case I was talking about in the first paragraph or two
upload_2019-5-17_13-32-58.png

Portables
Progress report 5/20/19

I did the rest of my STUSB4500 board last night, and did finishing touches this morning, I revised the board a little bit. Here’s the board;

upload_2019-5-21_10-10-33.png

The board now is pretty much just the stusb4500 since I omitted the multiplexers for the data switching. Along with points to be hooked up to gman’s PMS board. I was thinking of releasing it, but then Aurelio showed off his board that he was planning to release lol. Since his will be better, I think it’d be better for everyone to way for that board instead.

I have decided to not include the usb drive integration for a couple of reasons; it’s a couple of more components, that could go wrong. Since I’m using the Kingston adapter, the data is all through micro sd card, which I can just swap, most computers (even my old phone) has micro sd card, so I won’t be getting anymore accessibility. Since Micro sdcard is so small, it barely takes up space on top.

upload_2019-5-21_10-11-8.png

The Circled in red is the Micro Sdcard slot, as you can see, it’s rather a low profile.

I’ve re done some stuff in the case, for instance the Usb c board was added in

upload_2019-5-21_10-11-32.png

I’m half thinking of Re-doing the case completely while I wait to print my case. I can always revert to my original case if this one doesn’t work out, here’s a couple of pictures, not much is done.

upload_2019-5-21_10-11-53.png

Not much is done on the back, so no reason to show a comparison. The rev2 is “slightly” bigger than rev1, I’m hoping to fit four cells in it, while actively seeing how thin I can make it, right now it stands at 28mm which is 1mm thicker than rev1 I want battery clips since I don’t like soldering to batteries, I’m looking for some battery clips to integrate into it right now.

which one do you like better? rev1 or rev2? I kind of like Rev1 because it's smaller, but everything is kind of cramped, I might just heavily rework the case, if rev2 doesn't look well.

I ordered parts for some GC+’es as I think I said in my last update. Everything is here except for the PCB’s, which are supposed to be done by the 23rd. Everything came from digikey really fast, like they knew I was gonna order it or something

-end of update​

Portables
So I've been doing alot of cad work today, and I'm really proud of this... if it works
I'm kinda board with the DMG style case, so I tried something else
I might use this for the contest, but it's just an Idea for right now.
MIIKU Rev2
What's new;

25mm
two 18650s
huge ass Cooling solution
4.3" IPS screen
More Vocaloid References

upload_2019-5-23_16-8-29.png

The emblem on the bottom middle is for the battery led indicator, it's like a two piece thing, that goes into the hole.

upload_2019-5-23_16-8-50.png

I really like how I got the Heat sink in there, It's just a regular wii heatsink, with the fins cut off so it's only about 8mm~ while the original is about 25mm~ : D The heatsink needs a little bit more trimming where the heatsink and fan collide, but other than that, it's really cool.
The fan is a disassembled blower fan, litterally integrated into the case, to make a thinner and hopefully still cool heat sink solution. I need to make a little plate for the motor to hang off of I think, but other than that it's pretty much done.
upload_2019-5-23_16-6-18.png

upload_2019-5-23_16-14-4.png

It uses a lmao trim for right now, because of how it's positioned, all I have left to put in is the Shoulder buttons, usb-c, and headphone jack :3

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
The new design looks pretty neat! I'd be concerned about the fan vent though, as while you do have contact in 8 places, I don't think there's enough overlap for the rest of the case for that too be stable or maybe even print properly.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Yeah that vent isn't gonna stay if you print it, if you expand the whole design so the tips are more in the case that could work

Portables
Fixed the vent, Did something wayy simpler haha

been awhile since the last update, a few things have been done, I redid the gamecube front shell, used Abs cement this time, which works AMAZINGLY, I made a whole wall out of it, and that stuff dummy thicc. Alot more solid and reliable than REV1. I used a hacksaw instead of a dremel, and worked alot better. I also cut my wii heat sink, to test with stuff
upload_2019-6-25_16-9-19.png

picture looks a lil weird, but you get the jist

I also got my DMGII case from Ginger, so I did the three magic trick. Sand, paint and fill, and then paint for a final time. and then huzzah, magic cool case
Though looking back now, I was a dumb ass and didn't take inbetween pictures
upload_2019-6-25_16-15-55.png

Looks better irl...

Now I need to figure out what color buttons to use, Probably either pink or white

Thats it for now haha, I need to buy some regulators, and a new driver board, then I should be done hopefully maybe