Question Wiring the disk drive to the GC motherboard?

Portables
I know that Wii portables are superior in almost every way, but I already have a GameCube I wanted to portablize.
I'm relatively new to hardware modding, but have succeeded in wiring video and audio to the GameCube motherboard. The two things that are still very confusing for me (and I have put many hours into trying to figure it out) are wiring a controller, and wiring the disk drive.
How should I wire the disk drive to the GC motherboard? How have you guys done it in the past?
Any and all help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Oof I did that :) If I remember correctly, I just broke off the connectors and wired maually each wire back to where it used to connect. It was a mess, but it has been working fine for over a year

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Have you trimmed your board at all? If it's completely untrimmed, you can use the board that is in the front and wire with this pinout that bentomo made a while back. If not, you'll have to wire to the points further back on the board.

As for the disc drive, do you intend to use some kind of modchip or an original drive? Ripping off the connectors and wiring the points back together is the easiest way to relocate the original drive. Otherwise you'll need to use some kind of pinout (and potentially a breakout board) to wire your modchip to where the drive connected.

Portables
Have you trimmed your board at all? If it's completely untrimmed, you can use the board that is in the front and wire with this pinout that bentomo made a while back. If not, you'll have to wire to the points further back on the board.

As for the disc drive, do you intend to use some kind of modchip or an original drive? Ripping off the connectors and wiring the points back together is the easiest way to relocate the original drive. Otherwise you'll need to use some kind of pinout (and potentially a breakout board) to wire your modchip to where the drive connected.
Awesome. Thanks so much for the help!
If you don't mind me asking one more question, where would I wire a battery to?

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
Awesome. Thanks so much for the help!
If you don't mind me asking one more question, where would I wire a battery to?
You would wire it to where the power from the plug goes to. I think that's the red and black wires from the fan (don't quote me, it's been a while). Make sure you know which side is ground since the red wire might be ground or voltage. You'll need a 14.8v battery pack to get the best battery life if you aren't using custom regulators.

Portables
You would wire it to where the power from the plug goes to. I think that's the red and black wires from the fan (don't quote me, it's been a while). Make sure you know which side is ground since the red wire might be ground or voltage. You'll need a 14.8v battery pack to get the best battery life if you aren't using custom regulators.
Awesome. Thank you so much!

Portables

This is the pinout for the Wii's Disc Drive.

This is the pinout of the GameCube's disk drive connector.

Would all I have to is connect the Wii Drive's 12v to the GameCube's 12v, the Wii Drive's 5v to the GameCube Drive Connecter's 5v, and so on? Or is it more complicated that that.
Also, how would I make the lid switch? Would I need to at all?

Pictures are from https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Using_a_Wii_drive_replacement_on_a_GameCube
Thanks guys!