Question Wires

Hi,

I'm almost done sourcing all the tools I need for my build (just got a dremel kit). What kind of wires do I need as part of the build. If it helps, I'm copying the Louii, so maybe that would help it be more specific. If there's a thread or other forum where this has been answered that someone can link me to, that would be great! Thanks (P.S I've 26 gauge Magnet wire, and 34 gauge shielded wire, is this correct?).

Portables
1 (Aran)
reading through the gboy manual is helpful even if you aren't building a gboy. i reread it often to clarify stuff
but general consensus is you want 22AWG wire for battery and power, 30AWG wrapping wire, and 34AWG magnet wire

reading through the gboy manual is helpful even if you aren't building a gboy. i reread it often to clarify stuff
but general consensus is you want 22AWG wire for battery and power, 30AWG wrapping wire, and 34AWG magnet wire
Thanks! What do I need to know about colours when it comes to wires? Sorry this is kind of a noob question I assume

Portables
1 (Aran)
Thanks! What do I need to know about colours when it comes to wires? Sorry this is kind of a noob question I assume
You can use whatever colours you want, just make sure to stay consistent,
conventional wisdom is red for voltage, black for ground, but if you don't have either of those don't worry use brown and purple or whatever.

I also noticed the G-Boy Guide mentions "multi-stranded wire" for 22 awg, so is that what I need for that?

Portables
1 (Aran)
I also noticed the G-Boy Guide mentions "multi-stranded wire" for 22 awg, so is that what I need for that?
You could use single stranded but it is not advisable, the problem with single strand wire is if you flex it too much of the quality is so so. the single conductive peive of wire inside can break. making your wire effectively useless

whereas multi strand wire has lots of smaller metallic threads that run together, this means if some break there are still more wires that conduct the electricity and so broken wires are much less likely,

You could use single stranded but it is not advisable, the problem with single strand wire is if you flex it too much of the quality is so so. the single conductive peive of wire inside can break. meaning your wire is effectively useless, single strand wires also heat up more (relatively) so insulation melting and shorts are a risk.

whereas multi strand wire has lots of smaller metallic threads that run together, this means if some break there are still more wires that conduct the electricity and so broken wires are much less likely, and they run cooler (reletively)
Interesting, do you have a link for where I could buy a spool? My local electronics store didn't have it, and I didn't see it on Amazon either. Maybe its just because it doesn't specifically say "multi-stranded wire", should probably reiterate this, I'm a noob

Portables
1 (Aran)
Interesting, do you have a link for where I could buy a spool? My local electronics store didn't have it, and I didn't see it on Amazon either. Maybe its just because it doesn't specifically say "multi-stranded wire", should probably reiterate this, I'm a noob
without knowing where your located in the world, its kinda hard to reccomend anywhere other then amazon, or your local electronics store

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Wrapping wire is just PVC jacketed solid core wire. It's called wrapping wire because you can use it to "wrap" your own inductors and such. It is indeed flexible, but it holds its shape once bent. Kinda like steel fence wire.

Wrapping wire is just PVC jacketed solid core wire. It's called wrapping wire because you can use it to "wrap" your own inductors and such. It is indeed flexible, but it holds its shape once bent. Kinda like steel fence wire.

what about this?

Portables
1 (Aran)
wrapping wire

basically anything on the first 3 rows is what you want,
what you have above is still 30awg stranded wire

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables

I think this is what i'm looking for.
advent is right, you've picked stranded wire again. Wrapping wire is solid core, hookup wire is stranded. You could also search for Kynar wire, Kynar wire and wrapping wire are the same thing.