Solved Will enameled copper wire made for beading work in place of magnet wire?

I've been trying, and trying to find a set of spools of magnet wire that come in an assortment of colours, as I want to be able to easily keep track of what is connected to what, but I just couldn't find any. Then, I came across this.

They're jewelry wires, made for beading, twisting etc. But most importantly, they're made of copper, and they're coated in enamel (granted, to colour them). But my thinking is that magnet wire is literally just enameled copper. So is there any reason why I couldn't use these? For example: the enamel might be too thin so it may crack and cause a short.

I just don't want to end up with 300 ft. of wire that I can't use.

YveltalGriffin

First Wii U Trimmer
Portables
You're right, magnet wire is just enameled copper wire. The stuff you linked is usable. But just so you know, it's around 29AWG which is pretty thick as far as magnet wire is concerned. Good for wiring power to something that draws more than ~100mA, but less ideal for data lines or other situations where you need to solder into a via.

I use this colored magnet wire (just under 34AWG) and it's perfect for soldering into Wii vias and the like.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You're right, magnet wire is just enameled copper wire. The stuff you linked is usable. But just so you know, it's around 29AWG which is pretty thick as far as magnet wire is concerned. Good for wiring power to something that draws more than ~100mA, but less ideal for data lines or other situations where you need to solder into a via.

I use this colored magnet wire (just under 34AWG) and it's perfect for soldering into Wii vias and the like.
My wire drawer is about to be so damn colourful

Can I use this wire for power, data lines and other stuff?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Can I use this wire for power, data lines and other stuff?
Data yes, power no. 34AWG is too thin for power delivery, and you don't use solid core wire for power delivery.