Worklog WiiVision XT

Tron

After having built a WiiVision (thanks again Gman et al), I've decided to make an updated version which I'm calling WiiVision XT. In this update, I plan to incorporate the USB-C PD + Internal USB PCB, simplify the types of buttons used, switch the X & Y buttons to match the gamecube controller orientation, improve the shoulder buttons, among other things.

In order to fit the USB-C board, I had to increase the case height by 4 mm and the width by 10 mm from the original WiiVision. I also had to abandon the shoulder button mechanism from the MadCatz controller that was too bulky. Fortunately I wanted to do use a new mechanism anyways.

I ended up building my own true-analog shoulder button mechanism from a linear potentiometer, a spring from the MadCatz shoulder button mechanism, an orange squish tact, and my 3D designed chassis (see photo below). I have tested the prototype in the WiiVision I built and the prototype works well with the GC+ 2.0 and the feel is much better than the MadCatz version.

IMG_1662.JPG

So far everything fits in the prototype case bottom (see photo below). I might even be able to shave off a couple of mm from the width.

IMG_1664.JPG

Once I finalize the case bottom, I'll be working on the case top. I welcome all constructive criticisms and suggestions.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Remake of a Remake. I love it. Looking forward to seeing how this one improves upon ours!

Tron

After numerous iterations, I finally arrived at a design that fits everything in but only slightly larger than Gman and Shank's original WiiVision. I even shaved off a few mms from the initial case design in my original post. The current design is only 3 mm taller and 5 mm wider than the original WiiVision, and the same thickness.

IMG_1723.JPG

Here are some design changes from the original WiiVision.
  • Replaced the external USB ports and 12V power port with the USB-C PD+Internal USB.
  • Added spring-loaded battery clips that can connect the negative ends of all four batteries.
  • Used WiiU power on/off and +/- buttons, which you can buy on eBay.
  • Replaced the MadCatz shoulder button mechanism with my own design that uses a linear potentiometer.
  • Added screw posts for various components, such as the screen, headphone jack, and speakers.
  • Switch the X button position so that ABXY is in the same relative orientation as the original GC controller.
  • Replaced the smaller D-Pad with MadCatz D-pad to avoid using buttons from another type of controller.
  • Replaced the headphone jack with one that did not require a metal ring to secure. For some reason, the metal ring on the outside of the case really bothered me.
  • Changed to use the +/- buttons for volume control and moved them to the front of the case next to the three screen control buttons.
  • Added a reset button to the top of the case, on the other side of the USB-C port from the power button.
  • Added a holder to the case bottom for a CR2032.
  • Added a holder for a Joycon rumble motor.

IMG_1724.JPGIMG_1725.JPGIMG_1727.JPGIMG_1728.JPG

Now, I'm waiting for my redesigned WiiBreakout board to come back from OSHPark. Once I have that, I'll begin to wire everything up. Again, all constructive criticisms and suggestions are welcomed.

Tron

It's been a while since my last update. Thanks to Aurelio who helped me solve a weird problem with the Joycon joysticks where the left and right directions are flipped. Right now, all the buttons are wired up and working. My custom-design analog triggers seem to be working as well and have a range of 0 to 140.

But I am running into a problem where no sound is coming out of the speakers. I'm using I2S audio. Any suggestion on how to debug this audio problem would be greatly appreciated.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Make sure you have the headphone jack or HPS wired to ground, otherwise there will be no speaker output. If you dont supply as with pictures, there is really nothing else we can do to help.

Tron

I just wired up a joycon rumble motor to the GC controller, 5V to the MP, and connected the LRA pads. The rumble motor works in the button tester but it also rumbles for a couple of seconds every time I power on the Wii portable. Is that normal?

Tron

I finished the WiiVision XT. Everything is working except for the rumble motor. I temporarily disabled it because it comes on for a couple of seconds every time the WiiVision boots up, and for some games, it comes on a lot.

Here are some photos of the finished WiiVision XT.

IMG_1813.JPGIMG_1814.JPGIMG_1815.JPG

Here is a photo of the internal but please pardon the messy wiring.
IMG_1812.JPG

I want to extend a special thanks to Aurelio and Gman for their timely and insightful answers, and to Shank and Gman for their original WiiVision that inspired this remix.