Discussion WiiU Soft Mod

Anyone else set up there Wii U like this?

• Total voters
Happy New Years everyone! I know it maybe stupid old news, I was able to soft mod my WiiU and get all the great things I love about Nintendo.

This is of course is through the VWii section.

Haven't messed with the WiiU homebrew yet just the VWii but it certainly is fun playing my WiiU games and then switching over to VWii and being able to play all my Gamecube games and old Wii Classics through USB Loader GX and Nintendont. All the covers are beautiful and the everything plays perfect along with of course the great old retro emulators.

The most amazing part is storing all on my 3Tb drive and the playing is endless!

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Ought to add a third option "sort of"
I've got WiiU homebrew access with a SD loader for WiiU games and then like a million wiis for Wii stuff :P

Does the WiiU homebrew have many things going for it like backup loaders also? Playing Wii U backups? Any update issues?

cheese

Staff member
I block updates to make sure my console stays hackable. I also don't think you can update backups, but I dunno for sure. Besides longer loading times, backups seem to run fine however :P

I will be adding that next, I didn't want to mess Up the WiiU part, and it was not clear on how well the backup launchers work with wiiU. Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend! Thanks @cheese.!is there software to backup wiiu discs, and do they still come in at like 32gb dumps? Can it load off USB or only SD?

The crazy thing is seeing everyone selling basic modded wiis on eBay for upwards of 150 to 175$

cheese

Staff member
I'll be completely honest, I just download the games, since when I got my WiiU they didn't have much info about softmod stuff and I was too lazy to look into it :P
I think there is a way to rip games from a stock console, but I dunno...

I as well am a downloader... Would love a PM to see what the best reputable site for that would be...

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
I wasn't aware that the Wii U was softmod-able to the point where it could run backups. That's good news as there are a couple of games I'd like to try and Nintendo games seem to never drop in price.

I kind of went overboard when I discovered how to play backups on my PS2 (Swap Magic). I have a binder full of unplayed PS2 DVD-Rs, so I took a step back from the softmod scene.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Look up the Wii U Brazilian method. Best use of soft modded Wii u. Actually lets you go online. Plus it's pretty easy to do. Just make sure your games are the right region or else you will brick your Wii U :)

I wasn't aware that the Wii U was softmod-able to the point where it could run backups. That's good news as there are a couple of games I'd like to try and Nintendo games seem to never drop in price.

I kind of went overboard when I discovered how to play backups on my PS2 (Swap Magic). I have a binder full of unplayed PS2 DVD-Rs, so I took a step back from the softmod scene.
I once back in the day had one of those lift cases on my ps2 before I learned that I could stuff a HDD in the back of it, had a great time back then, the only part that sucked was that it wouldn't let you play online! Oh the good old days!

Look up the Wii U Brazilian method. Best use of soft modded Wii u. Actually lets you go online. Plus it's pretty easy to do. Just make sure your games are the right region or else you will brick your Wii U :)
I will definitely look into it! Do you have any specific site or link to it?

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Last edited: