Discussion WiiSearch and Development

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Half of those are actually resistors. You might be able to measure them/reference Shank's Super Meme and just add back the same value right there.
Yeah 3 of them are resistors. I'm betting the caps can all be thrown out and just replace the 3 resistors. You could do that if you really need the extra 3mm, I think this is easier though.

Attachments

Shank

Staff member
Portables
No Wii is safe from regulation. The 01 has been successfully run on custom regulators. Shorting the RVL-01 and RVL-10 exclusive 1.8v line to the1.8v line allows the console to boot. Here are some power consumption numbers from the home menu. More to come.

20160426_112531.jpg

20160426_112555.jpg

Shank

Staff member
Portables
As for power consumption, Its not looking good, but it's still looking better than a GameCube. Unfortunately my original estimate of "about twice as much power" is accurate.
For frame of reference, the 4 layer boards use ~5.5 watts for GameCube games and about 6 watts for wii games. If the wii uses 20% more power during gameplay than the wii menu, it will put us right at 2x.

Even worse news for the optimists. This board uses a Broadway B, which although is on the larger substrate, is supposedly a 65nm chip. The Hollywood is a Hollywood AA, which is a 90nm chip. Both of these chips are the final (and probably the most efficient) iterations before shrinking the substrate. Initial tests showed the RVL-30 showed little to no efficiency improvements.

Tl;Dr: The tested conditions are likely the best case scenario for a 6 layer board.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
So then which revisions are the most ideal pre-40?

Also, some fun facts about the toughness of the Wii: I've accidentally run both the 1.15v and the 1.8v line on 3.3v on separate occasions, and it didn't fry. Both times were because of regulator failure resulting in the source voltage getting passed through. Chips did get hella hot though.

Still, don't run your 1.15v or 1.8v line on 3.3v.

Additionally, I can confirm that the 1.8v reg uses R1 and R2 to set the output voltage, and I've successfully replaced both of them. 2.7k is a common value so it was easy for R2, however R1 is listed as 1.125k in Frank's Super Shed, so I tried out a 1.2k resistor and had no negative effects.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
To my knowledge so far, the short answer is none. You aren't going to see a significance difference between 6 layer revisions. Maybe the 30, but not by much.

Power consumption varies by chips, not board. All 40+ have Hollywood-1 chips. Older revisions don't have that consistency with chips and board revisions. The 01 can have a Hollywood, Hollywood A, or Hollywood AA and a Broadway, Broadway A, or Broadway B.

Current evidence says the biggest power sucker by far is the GPU. Any board that has a gpu that says Hollywood-1 will use way less power. All others probably use the same power as each other.

Next biggest is the CPU. Wutsug ran tests that showed there was little to no significant reduction in power from chip to chip.

Other components? Who knows. I'd have to investigate the data sheet. But variances would likely be so small, its not worth it.

Also SS, I should run some stress tests to see how hard I can push a Wii before it pops.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
You've gotta squeeze and push that Wii until it explodes in your hand all out over your workbench.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
This Wii is not playing nicely. Wii games through d2x all give me the "an error has occurred turn off power" error.

However nintendont, as usual, works without a hiccup. I encountered some graphical issues, and raised the voltages until they were resolved. Here is the power consumption tests for meleeeeeeeeee

20160426_154802.jpg

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
That's strange, the power usage went down... 9.777 watts... The 3.3v (3.4? in your test) line went down nearly a watt.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I ran some dumb stress tests. i ran it for a while. It didn't fry my board, buy will probably fry your board if you do. Don't try this test unless you intend to fry your board.
Since the AVE runs on its own 1.8v line, I was curious what would happen if I ran 3.3v to the encoder. The board continued to work and output video. The chip did get warm after a bit.

Even more interesting, increasing the input voltage resulted in an increase in the voltage of the digital signals. Applying 3.3v to the line that powers chip results in the GPU outputting 3.3v to the AVE. 3.3v is the voltage the DOL AVE operates on, so this could be useful information. But again, DON'T DO THIS unless you want to fry your board.

Ok, now the other thing I noticed is shorting the power source of the AVE to a few of the 8 data lines of the AVE (individually) made the screen turn green in different ways. Maybe this could be used to identify which data lines are are which?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Already removed all the smd parts on the video encoder on this board so decided to trim it all the way. According to Shank's Super Meme, R44 is a 75 ohm resistor. All I had on hand was an 82 ohm, close enough :) Composite works again with just this one resistor connected to the video output pin to ground.

Attachments

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
is it my birthday

JacksonS

Portables
I have to ask why your homebrew channel is upside down.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
I have to ask why your homebrew channel is upside down.
When you modify the IOS the Homebrew Channel uses, it flips and mirrors itself. It's a check they added in when people made "cIOS" packs that would break Wiis (they just took an old IOS and wrote it over all of them, essentially bricking the Wii).

When you modify the IOS the Homebrew Channel uses, it flips and mirrors itself. It's a check they added in when people made "cIOS" packs that would break Wiis (they just took an old IOS and wrote it over all of them, essentially bricking the Wii).
Lol, interesting... I bet it wouldn't be too hard to simply stub the check (have the function always return the "normal" value, something to look into @Aurelio)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Lol, interesting... I bet it wouldn't be too hard to simply stub the check (have the function always return the "normal" value, something to look into @Aurelio)
There's no need to waste time on it. The homebrew channel can be replaced with other launchers.