Worklog WiiPTOP

A Wii laptop style built in the simplest way possible.

- A NTSC 6 layers wii board with wi-fi and bluetooth.
- Original wii power supply to run all the system.
- No triming (i don't worry about the space in this project, and trimming need more hours of work).
- Laptop LCD screen of 14.1" 1280x800 resolution.
- VGA/HDMI board with embedded audio to drive the LCD and speakers.
- Ir leds on the top of the lid.
- Internal 2.5 HD connected by a sata-usb adapter (I'll make a compartment to remove it whenever you want).
- PortablizerMii with vga mod.
- Original wiimotes and gamecube controllers.

Some pics:

Some updates:

The case:

LCD frame:

Speakers:

New faces for speakers to fit in the case:

--------------------------------------------------------

Cinski

But the keys do you want to make them in the case or will you play with joysticks that connect to the wii? Do you want to put batteries or make it go with the wall socket?

But the keys do you want to make them in the case or will you play with joysticks that connect to the wii? Do you want to put batteries or make it go with the wall socket?
I'll use it with normal gamecube controllers and wii remotes. I'm thinking in put batteries but if i do it will be later.

Cleeeeeean. I like it.

Have you considered making it a bit thinner? Perhaps in a later iteration?
Yes! In a second version of a wii laptop it will be the priority. In this version i focused to make as simple as possible and space to use original colling system, a pair of powerful speakers as you can see in the pics, and space for batteries if i need later.

More updates!

Instaling the hd case:

Reinforcing hinge bracket:

Openning space for doors to gamecube controllers and memory cards:

Rear painel and buttons for wii power, reset and sync:

Speakers:

I will reuse the old cover of the speakers. Have a nice material:

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Nice! You planning on adding a cover to hide the wires coming from the screen or are you just leaving them out? If you leave them out you'll want to put something to cover them so they don't accidentally get snagged on anything and rip out

Nice! You planning on adding a cover to hide the wires coming from the screen or are you just leaving them out? If you leave them out you'll want to put something to cover them so they don't accidentally get snagged on anything and rip out
Thanx man!

I have to open two news holes on screen frame cause the LVDS cable is too short to pass by the original hole and also the inversor lamp cable.

The third cable is for power IR leds on top. It's original from the frame and goes by the original hole.

I'll cover all the cable with LVDS tape to ensure resistance.

And to prevent it to break, the cables will be free for a slight twist inside the frame while in the bottom of the case the cables will be trapped. Just like a notebook.

More Updates

Let's Paint!

This is a process that i did to glue the speaker protector before paint:

Wash primer:

Primer:

Screws:

And Done:

Welding wires and testing:

I'm having some issues:

I only soldered 4 wires in usb port pins for use with my internal usb hd later (you can see in the pic above), but instead of using this wires, i tested conecting the usb cable directly in the usb port. The port is the number 1, closer to the board but the portablizermii don't recognizes the hd usb drive.

In the port usb 2 is working normally by connecting the usb cable.

It's very strange, because the port 1 was working before, and it's the second wii project that had this strange behavior whem i try to do this (conect usb drive directly by soldering wires on usb pins).

Did you twist the data wires together? If not, they can act like antennas and pick up interference.
Thank you
Today i soldered the usb drive in place for test and worked. Maybe the wires were atennas lol.

But in years before i really had issues in a PAL wii, trying to weld the same usb drive directly in many ways. the reason i don't know.
I thought I was seeing the same problem.