Worklog Wiines Portable

rcb123

So, I've been trying to start on a "portable Wii" and this will be my first work log of sorts.
Basing some of it on this: https://www.instructables.com/id/NintenWii-Wii-re-done-for-NES-case/

The plan is to put the Wii and everything I need into an NES shell, no disk drive but inside the cartridge slot will probably be the display of the buck converter (it shows both battery and output voltage). I will also try to relocate the GameCube ports to the front. Not sure about the screen situation. On top of the NES really isn't a good place to put it so I might keep it external. The screen I'm using is a slave monitor, it runs on 9-12V (I've powered it with the Wii's USB port before), is a 7" screen, and accepts composite through a 3.5mm jack.
I have two RVL-001 Wiis, but might get a newer board soon. I'm not planning on trimming it, just using a 12V supply for it.

Here's the Wii:
IMG_20190408_164256295.jpg

Piece of paper is just covering the disk drive board momentarily.

And here is the battery pack (won't be in that box for long):
IMG_20190408_164207981.jpg

(I will properly package it in something like kapton tape once the BMS arrives)

It is a 4s 4p pack that has been spot welded in sets of 4 for parallel with solder and wire to connect them in series. Currently don't have it connected as the full 14.8V pack (Just two 7.4V packs) as my BMS doesn't arrive until the end of the month. I might get some fuse wire to use between the 4p packs later on.
I'll be using the BMS to charge it (it does balancing) because I'm a little unwilling to buy a proper 18650 charger.

Current Costs:
Wii - Free
Batteries - 15$ (Got a bunch of them free)
NES shell - 5$
Buck Converter - 14$
BMS - 5$

Total cost is ~47$ with tax (all shipping is free)

Basically the only reason I'm doing this is to play Smash Bros with friends, so GameCube ports are a must have.
Might change the battery arrangement to better fit the NES shell as well.
Some LEDs on the inside might be added later on.
Definitely need to find a cooling solution.
Video port and IR bar port might also be relocated to the back. Not sure how well that may go, so I may drill holes and insert the output of the Wii cable for this converter (used for the screen input).
IMG_20190408_170601312.jpg

No this is not much of a "portable" and will be bigger than the original Wii, but it suits my needs and is <$50.

I'm not sure if my calculations are correct, but I tried to be conservative with them in regards to battery life.
So we'll assume an avg of 3.7V per cell, 1.5Ah per cell (labeled 2Ah but I don't trust that), and 16 cells total. That means ~88.8 Wh. I'll subtract 20% for buck converter inefficiency (labeled as up to 96% efficient) and divide by 30W (Wii and screen together will take much less, maybe 20W max). This gives me >2.37 hrs as playtime.

Edit: Correction to display format

Last edited:

rcb123

5V goes through boost converter to 12V for the monitor.

And for the video cable just search up 4-pole 3.5mm, this exists but is really just an unofficial format. This screen only supports the 3.5mm format and DIN.

Also, can anyone explain the copious 403 errors I've been getting?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
His confusion is that you need 6 pins for VGA, not 4. The most I've ever seen is TRRRS, never TRRRRS. Not sure about the 403s though, we're currently in the process of setting up BB 2.0, so Noah may not be the most on top of weird server-side issues

rcb123

Oh nevermind, I'm misspoke. I meant composite. My picture even shows a stock Wii video cable, my bad.

rcb123

Quick update, having some trouble with my buck converter:
IMG_20190409_183605508.jpg

Ordered a new one. Output was reading 28V 6A but only output 3 or 6 volts (I don't know why it changed between tests).

Edit: Android autocomplete is really weird on this site, so I always have to come back to fix small things.

Last edited: