Worklog Wiimote emulation through GC controller

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I know this is probably asking too much, but is there a way this can implemented along side the existing Bluetooth controls? I would love to access GameCube games using only my WaveBird, but boot with the Wiimote for other games.

(This is not for a portable setup BTW)
It is possible, but I won’t do it for the first release.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I am starting to work on the homebrew that allows to configure the buttons mapping for each game. I would like to include some preset configurations, like ones that would work for a bunch of games or for must-play titles.
Please consider posting here your suggestions for presets. Take into account that this hack can emulate a Wiimote with a Motion Plus along with either a Nunchuck or Classic Controller. It can also emulate wiimote pointing and accelerometer (both Wiimote and Nunchuck ones) and the gyro. Therefore it can emulates stuff like gestures for shaking or tilting.

Portables
sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) +e^(i*pi)
will gyro be able to be added on? like an actual gyro, through like GC+(with modifications), or homebrew?

Also a google docks would help keep it clean

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
will gyro be able to be added on? like an actual gyro, through like GC+(with modifications), or homebrew?

Also a google docks would help keep it clean
Yes, it can be interfaced to external sensors.

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Howdy there, rowdy bears.

I went ahead and used Google Drawings and made a template of a standardish portable with all the controls of a GCC. For the sake of uniformity, y'all are free and welcome to use it to come up with ideas.

Here are a couple of mine:
Copy of GC to Wii Layout Template(2).jpg

Copy of GC to Wii Layout Template(1).jpg

Just realized I forgot about tilting in NSMB. Probably would make the C-stick tilt and the main stick pointer. You need the pointer for parts of Paper Mario.

A few questions for Aurelio:
  • Can a button on the Wii remote be activated by pushing two buttons on the GCC at the same time? For example, I think it would be conveinent if Z and R (on GCC) could be pushed at the same time as the home button, since it won't be used a whole lot.
  • Can the joystick be remapped to function like the Wii remote Dpad?
  • Would we be able to save configurations to a file and then share said files? Would be super conveinent if someone were to take the time to map out a game like Skyward Sword or something else brutal.
  • I had other questions but I'm tired and can't remember them. Oh well.
Thanks for all you do Aurelio! <3

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
Are you going to use config files for that? like xml or ini-files?
If so, it would be really easy to make a section for every title-id in the config-file. Plus we could write a little PC-App to create/change layouts.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
To answer Ginger: all those questions sre entirely possible.
Nold: there will be one config file for each title id and the configurator homebrew will be for the Wii (although a PC one is definitely possible) and eventually will be part of the new loader

BocuD

Portables
upload_2018-9-15_21-29-40.png

I have some changes for the Super Mario Galaxy config by @GingerOfOz. This would require an extra button, but I just tested it out in dolphin and this works great.
- C stick is now directly mapped to IR xy coordinates;
- X is now home and Y is C (1, 2 and select aren't used anyways. This fixes home and gives space for C as its now used by another B button)
- Since you sometimes need to aim and press A/B, two of the shoulder buttons (one extra) are now secondary A/B buttons. This allows doing this comfortably since you can't really move the C stick and press a/b normally. Pull stars and aiming/shooting are fixed this way for example.
Example of this config:
g pizza man when are you gonna make that spreadsheet

Could the gamecube soft reset combo (b+x+start) be the defultt home button for everything? it wont work for for Nintendon't but should for nearly everything else.

I'd like to also see an auto-centre function for the IR emulation - whenever the analog stick isn't being pressed the IR should default back to the center. I don't think FPSs will be playable without one.

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Could the gamecube soft reset combo (b+x+start) be the defultt home button for everything? it wont work for for Nintendon't but should for nearly everything else.

I'd like to also see an auto-centre function for the IR emulation - whenever the analog stick isn't being pressed the IR should default back to the center. I don't think FPSs will be playable without one.
Yeah I can do both

Yeah but I’m talking about a beta usable in game. I’m really curious to see how well it works. I’ve been working with Jackson in making a Joycon style wiimote controller setup which uses more or less all the original controller modes. I need them to be wireles though for a future project.

But the convenience of this is very tempting.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Yeah but I’m talking about a beta usable in game. I’m really curious to see how well it works. I’ve been working with Jackson in making a Joycon style wiimote controller setup which uses more or less all the original controller modes. I need them to be wireles though for a future project.

But the convenience of this is very tempting.
I will release another beta for Wii games very soon

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I published on Patreon a closed beta for those supporting me.
In the meanwhile, you can check the configurator homebrew. The attached archive includes the configurator and a folder (to put in the root of your USB drive) with premade configurations for three games.
On boot, the homebrew shows all the games that you have in the wbfs folder (and subfolders). Select one and make your configuration. Some of the features are still to be implemented, but I am getting there.
I tried to make the homebrew as self explanatory as possible, but if you have doubts or suggestions please let me know.

Attachments

I've always wanted to play DKCR with a "shake" button. I noticed the opening quick time event took a while - maybe the exact right amount of shake needs to be dialed in?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I've always wanted to play DKCR with a "shake" button. I noticed the opening quick time event took a while - maybe the exact right amount of shake needs to be dialed in?
The shake can be emulated straight from boot