Worklog Wiimote emulation through GC controller

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
After working on this for quite a while I can finally show a working demo of what is probably going to be one of the easiest way to play Wii games on a portable. The way this works is by replacing the kernel module that handles the bluetooth with a custom one that implements a fake BT stack and emulates a Wiimote.
The main input is obviously going to be a GC controller, since anyone has one in their portable (GC+, stock controller or whatever you wish), but these patches can easily support other input sources as well (accelerometer/gyro sensors, touchscreen and others), as long as they can be wired via i2c (using the same codebase as WiiHUD).
Finally, along with portablizemii 2.0, this will allow the user to configure the patches on a per-game basis, making it possible for example to emulate the classic controller for a game, a wiimote+nunchuck for another or a sideway wiimote for another one as well. The possibilities are infinite.

I would also like to use this post to announce that I started a Patreon page: https://www.patreon.com/aureliomannara. As you can probably imagine most of these hacks require a lot of time and money (for prototypes, hardware for testing and whatever else may be needed). My projects will always be free for anyone to use (or open to be self-made in the case of hardware stuff), but any help would allow me to work on this stuff more easily and faster. Thank you.

I will use this thread to post news about the development of these patches. For any question feel free to ask.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
@Aurelio you are amazing :)
So can I forget my 3 in 1 controller board?
How far are you from a release?
I would say few weeks for a first test run release. The full release will come along with the new portablizemii loader, since it will have per-game configurations and whatnot.
About that board, it’s up to you I guess.

I'm trying to find a way to collaborate in the "patreon", but I do not have international cards ... I'll try to borrow it ... Congratulations, this is an incredible job! I can not wait to be released !!!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I am releasing few files for those who want to test this hack (it won't do anything else than what's shown in the video, so do it only if you are curious). Being a test cIOS it uses the slot 249, to avoid any conflict with the system ones. You also need priiloader installed on your system and Multi Mod Manager. Also made sure to have previously synced at least a wiimote to your system (this step seems to be not required, but it's safer).
In the zip file root there are two files and a folder. Copy the file hacks_hash.ini in the /apps/priiloader folder on your USB drive (create the folder if needed). Copy the BTWiimoteInject folder in the /apps folder on your USB drive. Copy the cIOS249_redBT.wad file on the root of your USB drive.
Boot the BTWiimoteInject homebrew and turn off the wii when it says it's done.
Using Multi Mod Manager, load IOS 236 and use it to install the wad file.
Boot into priiloader and from the "System Menu Hacks" menu enable the SISetXY patch. Then go to the settings, set the "Use System Menu IOS" option to "off" and select IOS 249.
Boot the system menu and check that everything works as intended :D

Attachments

I am releasing few files for those who want to test this hack (it won't do anything else than what's shown in the video, so do it only if you are curious). Being a test cIOS it uses the slot 249, to avoid any conflict with the system ones. You also need priiloader installed on your system and Multi Mod Manager. Also made sure to have previously synced at least a wiimote to your system (this step seems to be not required, but it's safer).
In the zip file root there are two files and a folder. Copy the file hacks_hash.ini in the /apps/priiloader folder on your USB drive (create the folder if needed). Copy the BTWiimoteInject folder in the /apps folder on your USB drive. Copy the cIOS249_redBT.wad file on the root of your USB drive.
Boot into priiloader and from the "System Menu Hacks" menu enable the SISetXY patch. Then go to the settings, set the "Use System Menu IOS" option to "off" and select IOS 249.
-snip-

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
ETA wen son
You need to chill dude, many people on this forum have a lot going on and spamming multiple threads asking for things isn't going to make them get done faster. It's totally fine to ask questions but posting multiple threads/bumping old threads/responding to current threads with posts that are not constructive doesn't make people want to help you. Also many of things you ask can be easily answered with Google or have already been answered before. I think you need to do a lot more research before posting.

Wow ... it really works!
Too bad I can not wait to see this in a WII game, great job! really very ambitious ...

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Wow ... it really works!
Too bad I can not wait to see this in a WII game, great job! really very ambitious ...
Won’t be much before I finish the whole thing

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Congrats on getting it working man.
Maybe you remember me from earlier this year?
https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.p...lling-more-wii-games-with-gc-controller.1907/

I'm wondering about the chances of you getting this working with bluetooth controllers. Still willing to donate of course.
There is a possibility I will do something like this, but not now. I would have to implement it in a different way from how it’s done now, so it’s definitely not high priority now

Raflos

There is a possibility I will do something like this, but not now. I would have to implement it in a different way from how it’s done now, so it’s definitely not high priority now
Nice to hear, thanks for letting me know.

Matt d

I would like this just to navigate the hombres channel with gc controller plugged in

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
You can navigate the Homebrew channel with a GC controller though, can't you? You do have to use the dpad instead of th joystick, but it's a functionality built into the stock homebrew channel.

I know this is probably asking too much, but is there a way this can implemented along side the existing Bluetooth controls? I would love to access GameCube games using only my WaveBird, but boot with the Wiimote for other games.

(This is not for a portable setup BTW)