WiiinToaster

Nothing too complex, just a Wii in Toaster.

As a teen I always had this goal of posting a completed Gamecube portable on ModRetro. Times have changed, thus I post a WiiinToaster on BitBuilt instead :P
I was a huge fan of SS's Youtube channel (now they're all private videos :'( ), so I had to make a silly video before posting. Only I got busy with college work and it took me five years to finally get around to editing the video, which was entirely shot shortly after construction in 2016. Viola!

To those of you who were on ModRetro, thanks for all the inspiration that helped me grow my skills and figure out my vocation (turns out it's not hardware after all, but I never woulda known if I hadn't tried).

Getting the disc drive wired up properly was the hardest part by far, it uses this little flex cable. The cable was too short to rotate the drive 90 degrees (which I had to do in order to face the GCN Ports and the disc drive both upward). I can't remember what I ended up doing, but one of my attempts involved trying to make 2 of those flex cables contact each other using a keyring, it didn't work well.
Power, AV out and Sensor bar are permanently attached. Making them removable seemed like unnecessary work since all 3 would always need to be attached for it to work anyway.

I might have found some way to solder them together, cause it still works after 5 years, though the darn disc drive can be knocked out of alignment if you jostle the console. A few years ago the SD card slot broke, which was a bit disappointing, especially cause it was the cheap chinese eBay slot that broke, not the fault of my sketchy soldering. It also doesn't like to eject small Gamecube discs, so I only feed it full-size Wii discs. I blame the disc drive. The disc drive blames me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Either way, it's not a pleasant experience for either of us when I have to use a screwdriver to pry out a gamecube disc that it won't eject.
But for Wii games it works fine, and it's always a fun party trick to show people my toaster that plays Wii games.

Development:
IMG_1727.JPG
IMG_1723.JPG
ExtraDevImage01.png
ExtraDevImage02.png
IMG_1709.JPG
IMG_1722.JPG
IMG_1724.JPG

Finished:
PXL_20211213_114136570.jpg
PXL_20211213_114910302.NIGHT.jpg
PXL_20211213_115017813.NIGHT.jpg

CrashBash

No emulation, real hardware
Staff member
Ayy nice! I found ShockSlayer way back when ModRetro was new as well.
This is really cool, especially seeing the frankencasing now. It's even cooler and more impressive when you realize you said this is circa 2016!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Now this brings back some memories. Solid work my dude! We need more "Wii inside other appliance" type builds.

Thanks for the kind words!

Ayy nice! I found ShockSlayer way back when ModRetro was new as well.
This is really cool, especially seeing the frankencasing now. It's even cooler and more impressive when you realize you said this is circa 2016!
I'd pay to download some of those old SS videos, fun stuff.
Much appreciated! It's cool how this scene keeps getting more advanced with technology, but frankencasing is still the extent of my casemaking skills :P . Thankfully the Toaster shell is 90% of the exterior so I didn't have to do much.
Next to the DD slot is actually some screen from a screen door. My mom fixed a screen door and I saw the leftover screen, was like "maybe I could use that as a cooling vent one day."

"Hold on hon, my tea kettle is beating me at Smash Bros" :XD:
Unless you just mean cooking and drinking the wii. It might not taste good.

Reactions: Gex