WiiHUD (temporary name)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Some of you may have already seen this video. In this post I'm going to reveal some additional details about the "WiiHUD" project!

It is going to be a custom IOS module, which will work with multiple potential add-on boards.
The system shown in the video uses two of the Wii's GPIO pins to control the UP/DOWN signals on an audio amp to control the volume. While it works very well, the GPIO pins are not very flexible. This lead us to move towards using i2c.

The Wii has an onboard i2c bus that is only used to configure the AVE chip. Thankfully, IOSes can take control of the i2c bus and basically, we can use it as we wish. Thanks to the flexibility of the i2c bus, the WiiHUD system will not only allow the users to control the volume of their audio amp, but also do other things like check the SoC (State of Charge) of their battery. So, in the next few months we are going to release two custom boards, specifically designed to work directly with the WiiHUD system:
  1. Custom audio amp. Designed to work alongside GCVideo, this board will work directly with the Wii's digital i2s audio, and will completely remove the need for the AVE and the audio preamp, allowing further motherboard trimming.
  2. Fuel gauge board. This board will provide full battery SoC monitoring. No further need for those boring LEDs that show when your battery is dead. From now on, everything will be on-screen!
These are just some examples of what this system can do, but the potential is limitless.

More details coming soon!

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
After having @ShockSlayer testing 50 (thanks <3) or so IOS builds I finally got few things working. This is a little demo video showing the overlay and the gamecube controller hook working in a Wii game (yes, that's the Wii version of Zelda Twilight Princess):

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
WiiAudioAMP.png
The audio amp specifically designed to work with WiiHUD is ready and it's working. We've been doing a lot of tests in the past few days. This amp works straight from Wii i2s digital audio for better quality (also removing the needs of the AVE if used along with GCVideo), it has an internal Class G amplifier for headphones (with automatic switching when plugged in) and it is completely driven by WiiHUD, allowing the user to change the volume just by using buttons combinations on a GameCube controller.
ShockSlayer is going to do a stream in the next few hours showing the board and how it works.

PS: Maybe the picture is not clear enough, but this thing is really tiny, it's just 17.04 mm x 28.22 mm

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
WiiAudioAMP2.0.png

This is probably the final design of the audio amp. This board is probably the smaller board I've ever designed. It is 13.36mm x 15.75mm, you can fit this wherever you want :D