Discussion WiiHUD PowerMii interest check

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
DISCLAIMER: This is designed for and works only with portables using 4 layers Wii motherboards. The additional power draw needed by the 6 layers Wiis is too much with respect to what the board can provide.
regboard.png

Hello everyone. I've been working for the past few weeks on the final design of the PowerMii board. This board has been designed to work with WiiHUD.
This is a list of the features:
  • Provides all the voltage needed to power a portable Wii, including 1.8V, removing the need of keeping the on-board LDO regulator;
  • Provides battery charging with proper charge&play with a single power jack;
  • Included battery protection circuit;
  • On-board battery monitoring. This means having the possibility to show on screen (thanks to WiiHUD) the battery percentage, a low battery alert and other stuff such as the remaining time to full charge/discharge;
  • Upgradeable firmware by simply using a custom homebrew on the Wii itself;
  • ~ 34mm x 28mm board size.
The board is still in a development process and few things might change after testing this design, but I'd say that this is a pretty good release candidate. Also the public release for this board won't happen for few months, probably not before October.
The price for each board is yet to be defined, but it's probably going to be around $90.

Last edited:
If someone could be so kind as to put me down for one, I'd really appreciate it!! I will be camping for a few days and won't have access to a computer. My phone won't let me do it :\

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
If someone could be so kind as to put me down for one, I'd really appreciate it!! I will be camping for a few days and won't have access to a computer. My phone won't let me do it :\
Done! Anyway this has no closing date defined, so there was no rush :D

JacksonS

Portables
I'd like to buy one :). It could really improve my next project.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Let me give an explanation on why this is more than worth the asking price, for any that might think the price is too high, and those who don't fully understand how amazing this is.

First off, you get regulation. This board has 5 regulators made with higher end components, all preconfigured to the correct voltages. Aurelio told me he picked chips for each voltage line that had the highest efficiency at the current the Wii draws for said voltage line. No more PTH regulator nonsense, no more resistors to set the voltage or output capacitors, no more wire spaghetti, no more noise caused by the TI regs. It is all made to work with the Wii out of the box.

Second, you get protection. This thing has built in battery protection. Just wire up your batteries, and you are done. No external PCBs required. Its a 1S setup (meaning 1 in series) so you can use 1, 2, 3, 4, or as many or as few cells as you want, as long as they are all all the same cell.

Third, you get battery charging. Plug in a regular external power source, and it will charge the batteries, so you wont have to buy and carry around an lithium ion battery charger.

Fourth, you get single port charge and play. The board can act like any modern electronic device and charge the batteries while the device is running without damaging the cells. Now you don't have to have charge-and-play circuits with 2 power jacks or charge-or-play circuits that can only do either or. You plug in your external power source, and it handles it all using pizza magic.

Fifth, it has battery monitoring. This board monitors the current that has flown in and out of the batteries to calculate the remaining capacity of the batteries, like most modern electronics. Typical low voltage indicators we use just tell us when the battery is low using the very inaccurate method of reading the voltage. This circuit gives a much more accurate level of remaining power.

Sixth, this thing is tiny it will fit in pretty much any portable you could ever build that isn't something stupid like an altoids tin.

Seventh, you get WIIHUD. The battery level, status, and info is displayed on the freakin screen! He built custom software for the wii to make this magic happen. The wii interfaces with the board to send important information back and forth. Having the onscreen information along with knowing the remaining power will make your portable feel like a modern electronic device. And since he made it upgradeable, who knows what else he will add to it?

And finally, Aurelio is making this, so you know its going to meet all the promises and hype, just like the audio amp and GC+. He has done so much for our community, and made so many great products. Buy this to support him like he supports us <3

Nick

Idk Aurelio's never made anything worth buying...... I kid I kid, I'm way more than interested of course. :P

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I forgot to say one thing in the first post. This is designed for and works only with portables using 4 layers Wii motherboards. The additional power draw needed by the 6 layers Wiis is too much with respect to what the board can provide.

Last edited:

Noah

retired
Portables
I forgot to say one thing in the first post. This is design for and works only with portables using 4 layers Wii motherboards. The additional power draw needed by the 6 layers Wiis is too much with respect to what the board can provide.
lmao who is dumb enough to waste this beauty on a 6 layer

Even fiskers knows better

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Every country that uses the metric system has never won a superbowl. Coincidence? I think not.