Worklog WiiG Revolution Portable

Portables
3/4
Ok, so I finally sat down EARLY Christmas morning, (like 4am) and built my first Power Regulator. I chose to do the 3.3v since this is pretty much a universal Reg. for the N64, GameCube and Wii and since I'm not sure if I will use it for yet, the Wii or the N64 portable. Either way I will have to make at least one more of this same Regulator.

It sets steady at a 3.336 to 3.337volts on the volt meter, even after letting it sit powered on for awhile. That bench power supply came in EXTREMELY handy for this project and I used some small red heat shrink to shield the resistor from the SMD components. How does it look? Anyone see any problems, (present or future) with how it is setup?

Just wanted to get opinions before going on with the rest of them.:)
2016-12-25 09.38.58 (Small).jpg
2016-12-25 09.42.44 (Small).jpg
2016-12-25 09.48.26 (Small).jpg

Portables
3/4
Nice, looks pretty compact as well, so it should do nicely in a portable!
Thanks!! I tried my best and it took a couple of hours but now that I've done the first one and with what I've learned hopefully it will make all the others move a lot more quickly. I tried to keep it as small as possible even though I was using thicker gauge wire for current, which was a PITA but necessary. I also might change to a conical tip on my iron, something a bit smaller to get into the tight spaces but not sure if they will provide the heat I need to get in and out quickly.... any thoughts from you guys @ShockSlayer @Gman ?

I'm proud I've conquered one of my smaller fears though... making power regulators. Next comes my greatest fear... cutting and sanding multilayered boards. I think an electronics engineer friend of mine who works for Harman Kardon said it best with, "Thick multilayered boards are like pregnant women... it's best to just leave them alone" LMAO!! :D

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Looks solid. You can make the assembly smaller by soldering the capacitor and resistor to the smd caps on the ti regs if you want.

Portables
3/4
Nice, I didn't even think about that!! Thanks for the advice and the pic, that really helps a ton!! It's so hard to find good pics of power regulators anywhere. :) I think I will give that a try, you da man @Gman!!

Madmorda

Painting Queen
Portables
I'm no SS or Gman, but I use a very slender conical tip on a Weller soldering iron with one of those docks that lets you adjust the temperature. At a 3 (maybe 3.5) out of 5, it gets plenty hot for quickly soldering small things.

Portables
3/4
It's all good man, I just know, (and seen from posts) that SS and Gman have built a TON of these things and wanted to get their input as well but any and all thoughts and comments are more than welcome!! :)

Thanks for the info, makes me feel better about trying out a finer tip!! I've just read that unless you are doing super fine work that a conical tip can been a pain since it can only transfer so much heat to the work area. Like what you said though, I would just need to go up on Temp setting a bit. I'm usually stay around 600 to 650 degrees but maybe knock it up to 750 and give it a shot. I'm just trying my best not to over heat and/or break something that I have to spend more money to replace, lol!! :D

Portables
3/4
Could you post a video about your finnished project? im really interested in it
Thanks!! :). Yeah I can do that. I haven't even had a chance to start on it yet really, things keep coming up and I have to keep putting it off. But, I've got all the parts pretty much so now it is just taking the time to put it all together. Trust me, I will be taking a lot of pictures along the way... and most likely asking a lot of stupid questions too, lol!! :)

I know that if I can get my hands on a good 3D printer it will make it go a LOT faster... and it is tax time... >:)