Worklog WiiG Revolution Portable

Portables
3/4
Well, I'm wrapping up on my first GC portable... just case work left pretty much and since I have almost all the parts for a Wii portable, (mainly a Wii U Case to put it all in) I figured I would make this my next portable project. So far I have the following parts either in hand or on the way...

1. ORIGINAL NINTENDO WII U GAMEPAD COMPLETE HOUSING SHELL REPLACEMENT w/ Nintendo Wii U Gamepad controller Black Left Right ZL ZR Trigger Button Parts
  2. A working Blue Wii Console - Used from a smoker that has scratches and cigarette burns on the case, (like I care for $20... I need what's inside)
  3. All the parts for 4 Power regulators: 1v, 1.15v, 3.3v, 5v (Thanks to @ShockSlayer )
  4. 10mm & 8mm Flat Mini Pancake Vibrating Motors, (can't have too many vibrating Motors around)>:)
  5. 5 inch 800x480 TFT LCD Display w/VGA,AV Video Board (still got to figure out how to run 480p VGA)
  6. Mini Digital 3W + 3W Stereo @ 4Ω PAM8803 Class D Audio Amplifier Board
  7. And a bunch of other miscellaneous switches, tacts, wires and such.
Need to order:
  1. GC+ Replacement Controller Board (from BitBuilt of course). :D
  2. Batteries and all the goodies that go with them, (any suggestions are welcome in this area).
  3. Custom size cooling fan?? (not sure about this until I see the OEM one from the Wii).

Couple of questions though. First, does anyone see a problem with any of these ingredients? Second, since the Wii U housing comes with all the original buttons, speakers, analog sticks and such should I have a problem wiring them to be used in the Wii while using a GC controller board, (especially the Analog Sticks)? And lastly, am I missing anything?

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Second, since the Wii U housing comes with all the original buttons, speakers, analog sticks and such should I have a problem wiring them to be used in the Wii while using a GC controller board, (especially the Analog Sticks)?
Nope, shouldn't have any problems, however, you'll have some extra buttons since the tablet has more buttons than the GC controller.
And lastly, am I missing anything?
... loljk
Nah everything looks good, just make sure you lay everything out well if you're using an official gamepad shell, there's not as much space inside as you'd think

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Portables
3/4
Nice, I knew I recognized that picture from somewhere... LMAO!!

Portables
3/4
Ok, so I've got everything I need to start working on a portable Wii project... especially since the weather her has put a halt on my GCp case work. Going to be a challenge for sure after reading through the Wii trimming guide so I might have a lot of stupid questions. My first is, since I'm using an official Wii U case has anyone pinned out those analog sticks? I have a good idea how I can do all the other buttons but haven't had time to sit down and get those figured out.

I will have to post some pics of everything that I have for the build soon, just been dealing with a lot of doctors, medication/medication changes, referrals and such BS lately and have been kinda worthless here lately. Having an inner ear autoimmune disease that only effects like1% of the earth's population really makes for a hard treatment that works, lol!!

cheese

Staff member
The pinout for the sticks is the same for both sides, relative to the ground pin.
GND, X, VCC, Y, Click
The ground pin is the one that has the little sticky off things on the bottom (see picture)
IMG_20161213_182647.jpg

Ok, so I've got everything I need to start working on a portable Wii project... especially since the weather her has put a halt on my GCp case work. Going to be a challenge for sure after reading through the Wii trimming guide so I might have a lot of stupid questions. My first is, since I'm using an official Wii U case has anyone pinned out those analog sticks? I have a good idea how I can do all the other buttons but haven't had time to sit down and get those figured out.

I will have to post some pics of everything that I have for the build soon, just been dealing with a lot of doctors, medication/medication changes, referrals and such BS lately and have been kinda worthless here lately. Having an inner ear autoimmune disease that only effects like1% of the earth's population really makes for a hard treatment that works, lol!!
The Wii U analogs use the standard pinout.

http://i861.photobucket.com/albums/ab171/Cloudfanmaster/randoms/IMG_0839.png

In the gamepad they actually don't, see my post
When I wired up my CubePad, the pinouts were the same... Different revision maybe?

-merged posts-

Oh I see now, we are both right, but we have different approaches. You solder to the solder pads and I solder directly to the pins themselves. Either way will work.

Last edited by a moderator:

cheese

Staff member
Ah yeah, I was suggesting to solder there since you have less of a chance of melting the pots inside the stick, these ones seem a little more fragile than older sticks...

Ah yeah, I was suggesting to solder there since you have less of a chance of melting the pots inside the stick, these ones seem a little more fragile than older sticks...
Yea, that's a good point. They are MUCH more flimsy than the GC sticks.

Portables
3/4
Yea, that's a good point. They are MUCH more flimsy than the GC sticks.
Ahhh, thanks guys!! I haven't had a chance to crack everything open yet but hopefully will be soon. So it is better to solder to the pads to make a good connection and not melt anything.

They actually came with the plugs still plugged into each side so I considered just splicing into that harness wire. That way if anything ever fails all I have to do is order a new analog stick and it would be a simple plug n' play. Don't know if that will work out yet but that is what I figured I would try anyway. :)

cheese

Staff member
They actually came with the plugs still plugged into each side so I considered just splicing into that harness wire. That way if anything ever fails all I have to do is order a new analog stick and it would be a simple plug n' play. Don't know if that will work out yet but that is what I figured I would try anyway. :)
If you still have the little wires that came with, definitely use those instead.

Portables
3/4
Yeah, they actually do still have the harness' included so we will see how that works out, hopefully good, lol!! Thanks for all the info so far!! Here is the first picture testing everything working together with PortablizeMii running. Now to figure out batteries and then start tearing everything apart and getting down to business!! :)

BTW: If anyone has any suggestions/products for battery setups on a Wii project that work really well I'm all ears!! ;)

2016-12-17 13.53.38.jpg

cheese

Staff member
BTW: If anyone has any suggestions/products for battery setups on a Wii project that work really well I'm all ears!!
Car batteries You ought to use some 18650s and charge circuit, or something from batteryspace. Either will be viable and work relatively well for a decent amount of time.

Portables
3/4
Car batteries You ought to use some 18650s and charge circuit, or something from batteryspace. Either will be viable and work relatively well for a decent amount of time.
I like the car battery idea... strap it into a fanny pack and hit the road!! :D

That's what I was thinking was going with either 18650s or LiPo's. I know LiPo's are lighter but can be a bit more on the dangerous side if not handled correctly, (just look at the Note 7). I considered getting one of the premade external battery packs from like Amazon but have been looking at the BOM that @Gman has listed and was thinking about going with the parts he listed since he is one of the modding/portable guru's and they seem to work well for him. :)

Will the Wii/GCp's be ok with a 3.0Amp protection circuit? I know the GameCube's original power supply is 12volts at 3amps and the Wii 12volts at 3.7volts but I'm guessing that will change due to the fact of using custom regulators? Just don't want to start any fires around the house or in my hands... (again, the Note 7), LOL!!

cheese

Staff member
Yeah the 3A should be fine. Also, as long as you hook up the protection circuit, there won't be any fires, it will just cut power to everything until you plug it back into a charger. In the note 7 case, it was less the engineering and more the shitty Chinese manufacturing (the batteries were under too much pressure and that caused a short inside the battery). Just don't put your batteries in a vice and you'll be fine ^0^