WiiBoy XL

GC64

Portables
After a year of work and almost entirely frying the system, I've finally fixed all of the issues and completed my first Wii portable. I've decided to respectfully plagiarize @Gman by calling it the WiiBoy "XL" as it is the only name that suits it..

Specs:
- OMGWTF trimmed Wii motherboard
- Four 18650 rechargeable batteries
- Single cord charge and play system using standard 12v DC adapter
- GC+ with sliders (of course)
- Custom 3D printed case, courtesy of @Air Conditioner for releasing his design which I modeled off of
- 4" 4:3 composite display
- Games loaded on SD card, made possible by USB to SD card reader
- WiiHUD audio amp designed by @Aurelio, allowing for on screen volume controls, stereo sound, and switching headphone jack

I know, the case is extremely dirty at the moment from touching it with my fingers while working on it. I have a habit of applying flux with my bare fingers, which might explain the filth. One of the downsides to having a white case!

Last edited:

GC64

Portables
Wow! This looks fantastic. My next portable is going to be similar to this, also inspired by Gman. May I ask what you ended up doing for the shoulder buttons?
There’s a brief glimpse of the back of the system in the video. I 3D printed an L, an R, and two Z buttons and placed them on the back. They work well and are quite comfortable that way

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Very nice work. Can never have enough good portrait portables out there. (You can probly clean that gunk off easily with IPA and a tissue)

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
Looks downright amazing! Happy to see you’ve incorporated so many components that spawned from this site alone, including some love for Air Conditioner’s design files!

GC64

Portables
Looks downright amazing! Happy to see you’ve incorporated so many components that spawned from this site alone, including some love for Air Conditioner’s design files!
Yes, he said his design would have worked so much better for a wii portable than a gamecube portable, which is why he had to add a spacer. So after a bit of modification, this is the result. He was definitely right since no spacer was needed this time around :)