WiiBoy Advance

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
This is the first complete unit for the advance case series I am working on. I have a bunch of those GBA carrying cases and the inside piece makes a nice small portable case. I went with yellow because it looks nice and a good change from the normal black/white. I will make a proper video showcasing this one once I complete the next one in the series because they are complimentary :) This was a pretty smooth build, I started it about a week ago.

Features:
-OMGWTF RVK-01 Wii
-4" 4:3 screen
-GameCube controller
-3DS sliders
-Double-tact shoulder buttons using GC start buttons
-Switching Headphone jack and speakers
-7.4v 3400mah lithium-ion batteries
-1v and 1.15v line shorted using a PTR08100
-SD loading
-Bluetooth
-Dedicated Reset and Sync tacts

Pics:
IMG_20160604_161623368_zpsxlqlswfy.JPG
IMG_20160605_181430191_zpsiaoxrkda.JPG
IMG_20160605_181439789_zps1r1oxnel.JPG
IMG_20160605_181513756_zpsdfnhzjlv.JPG
IMG_20160605_181528565_zpsehygwysw.JPG
IMG_20160605_184337129_zpsmr87aqjr.JPG

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
The amount of space left over on the inside makes me very excited for the future of the Wii!

Great work as always!
Thanks! I could easily fit 4 cells in there but I made this mostly because I had a lot of parts I have been hoarding and built this on a low budget. I might add two more cells in one day :)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
nice work....how much battery time do you get on 2 cells?
I timed 1 hour and 40 minutes on the Wiiboy under the condition of Stock 99 Melee. Not quite ideal, but acceptable considering there is only two cells. It also depends on what you are playing. My sister said she has played Pokemon on the GB emulator for far longer than 2 hours on her Wii portable. Remember back in the GC days when we would barely get 2 hours with 4 cells?

Shank

Staff member
Portables
Great job!

Under 2 hours of battery life with 2 panasonics and a 65nm board doesn't sound right. You may want to look into that. Two panasonics should give you 25wh, so if your cells are good then your portable is using an estimated 15 watts. The Wii in nintendon't uses ~5.5 watts... so something isn't right. If there is an issue, here are some probable causes:
-Screen / other component slurps up a lot of power
-Bad Cells
-Not fully charged cells prior to testing
-Some form of short or malfunction.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Great job!

Under 2 hours of battery life with 2 panasonics and a 65nm board doesn't sound right. You may want to look into that. Two panasonics should give you 25wh, so if your cells are good then your portable is using an estimated 15 watts. The Wii in nintendon't uses ~5.5 watts... so something isn't right. If there is an issue, here are some probable causes:
-Screen / other component slurps up a lot of power
-Bad Cells
-Not fully charged cells prior to testing
-Some form of short or malfunction.
Hey, uh, that's not actually unreasonable at all, as a matter of fact, its quite good for what he's got there. Lets go through it:

Gonna round your wii wattage to 6 to make it easy, to remove any potential error, and account for power usage spikes. Now remember, PTH/PTR regs are NOT 100% efficient, more like 70% - 80% at best. That already brings wattage for the wii up to nearly 9 watts.

That leaves 6 watts for screen, flash drive/sd, gamecube controller, fan, and an amp. Lets start with the amp. Amps take a lot of power, they have to drive speakers after all. That will take about 3-5 watts on medium volume (what most people would play with, audible, but not blaring). That leaves literally 1-3 watts for SD, a fan, controller, and screen (realistically would be closer to 1 watt). The stock wii fan takes half a watt alone, so that leaves only 2.5 watts at best, but more realistically, around 0.5 watts would be left for screen, controller, and SD.

Nearly 2 hrs is actually REALLY good.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
what screen did you use, and please provide link to buy it
It's a 4" Dalian Good display screen. I can't seem to find the link for a 4" VGA screen, they are a little tricky to find online. If you are looking to acquire one, PM and I can sell you one of mine.

Noah

retired
Portables
The Official Rules of the BitBuilt Forums

2. Don't Bump Old Threads
The only reason you should be bumping old threads is if you have something of value to add. For example, if there is a GameCube video out diagram and you've found a new location to pull video from, by all means, post your findings on the thread. However, if someone has a for sale thread from three years ago, don't bump it! They probably don't even have what they were selling anymore and there is a private message feature for this reason.
@Gman if you need this unlocked for any reason let one of us know!