Question Wii Will Not Boot

ToddyHD

Hi all.

I have tried to get my Wii OMGWTF trim working correctly but I am not having any luck and ready to give up and just buy a new board.

I get no signal on screen whenever I power the Wii on. The voltages I measure on the Wii when connected are:

3.3v - 3.26v
1.15v - 1.10v
1.0v - 0.95v

EDIT: I've rewired my custom regs and now I get 3.28, 1.12 and 0.96v on each line but the board still will not boot up - stuck on no signal. I also tried to wire it up to an external monitor but I still am not getting any results.

The CPU and GPU heat up slowly and I am measuring 3.26v on the U10 pin 5. I have no shorts to GND on any voltage line and no shorts between lines. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I've soldered/resoldered my U10 and soldered a wire to the GPU pin, the joint doesn't look cold at all and seems to be a good connection.

I am using composite video output. Is there anything anyone can think of apart from a piece of metal shorting something under the processing chips? I taped up my board well before trimming so I really doubt anything got under there.

If anyone can explain why the Wii would not show a signal that would be great. I've tried just about everything with this board and it shows no signs of life at all. Did I slice off any important traces?

Here are some pictures of my trim. It looks pretty clean and conservative from what I can see...

IMG_3011.JPG

IMG_3010.JPG

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all.

I have tried to get my Wii OMGWTF trim working correctly but I am not having any luck and ready to give up and just buy a new board.

I get no signal on screen whenever I power the Wii on. The voltages I measure on the Wii when connected are:

3.3v - 3.26v
1.15v - 1.10v
1.0v - 0.95v

The CPU and GPU heat up slowly and I am measuring 3.26v on the U10 pin 5. I have no shorts to GND on any voltage line and no shorts between lines. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? I've soldered/resoldered my U10 and soldered a wire to the GPU pin, the joint doesn't look cold at all and seems to be a good connection.

I am using composite video output. Is there anything anyone can think of apart from a piece of metal shorting something under the processing chips? I taped up my board well before trimming so I really doubt anything got under there.

If anyone can explain why the Wii would not show a signal that would be great. I've tried just about everything with this board and it shows no signs of life at all. Did I slice off any important traces?

Here are some pictures of my trim. It looks pretty clean and conservative from what I can see...

View attachment 7850

View attachment 7852
Seeing as how I just had a the same exact problem what I did was change my ohm resistors to a lower.... uhm... resistance?... not sure what the right word is but whatever that's what I did and my board worked when I did that

ToddyHD

Seeing as how I just had a the same exact problem what I did was change my ohm resistors to a lower.... uhm... resistance?... not sure what the right word is but whatever that's what I did and my board worked when I did that
I am already using pretty low resistance values - lower than what is recommended. Unconnected to the Wii, they output the following. I am not sure if I should aim for exact voltages when connected to the Wii or if mine are sufficient, though.

Do you remember what voltages outputs you were getting when the Wii wasn't working @Enrique

For me it seems like the composite out wire isn't connected to wii ground. Composite requires common ground in order to even display something. Have you tried to connect it?

ToddyHD

For me it seems like the composite out wire isn't connected to wii ground. Composite requires common ground in order to even display something. Have you tried to connect it?
I already have wired up the shielding to ground and I'm not getting any output. Tried wiring it up to an external TV with a RCA connector plug, still the same result - no sync.

Here's another picture of the board after wiring up the ground for composite. By the way, I am using 55k ohm resistance for the 1v line but I still get drops down to 0.95v. I am not sure why this would be happening. Ive tried pulling video from multiple spots on the Wii and I still get no signal.. ffs this is frustrating

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

ToddyHD

So I've got 3.28, 1.15 and 1.0v on each line and the board still will not boot. Have decided to give up on this board and try again.... not sure what I've even done wrong here but I guess sometimes pieces fling under the CPU/GPU and nothing can be done about it....