Question Wii voltage

Hey guys, just wondering what is the maximum voltage that will run through an standard Wii? I know you can run it off 5v but what the absolute top voltage it will run on ?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hey guys, just wondering what is the maximum voltage that will run through an standard Wii? I know you can run it off 5v but what the absolute top voltage it will run on ?
Untrimmed, 20v IIRC. If you trim it and use custom regs, using higher than 10v input can potentially cause the regs to die faster.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
PTH08080 support up to 18V just fine
What about the thing in the datasheet that says not to use an input voltage more than 10v above the output voltage? Is that just a cover their asses thing?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
What about the thing in the datasheet that says not to use an input voltage more than 10v above the output voltage? Is that just a cover their asses thing?
That is sort of correct. The PTH requires the input voltage to be lower than 10 x Vout, so yeah for the 1V line the input voltage should be lower than 10V. Although this is to guarantee a good efficiency and as long as you don't go too high, you shouldn't have issues (i.e. with a 12V input it's still fine).