Question Wii VGA

Does anyone know the best cable/adapter to convert Wii video to VGA? Or does it not really make a difference, or work very well at all. I want to connect my Wii to an old VGA monitor I have, but want the best adapter for it.
Any suggestions?

JacksonS

Portables
This cable is supposed to have a chip that converts from Wii component video to VGA. I once received a cable that didn't have a chip in it, so it may not be reliable.
The chip itself has been reviewed by Ashen and is pretty good, though I think there are different versions of it. Someone else might have more info on these cables.

Noah

retired
Portables
Does anyone know the best cable/adapter to convert Wii video to VGA? Or does it not really make a difference, or work very well at all. I want to connect my Wii to an old VGA monitor I have, but want the best adapter for it.
Any suggestions?
GCVideo.

edit: also moved

Shank

Staff member
Portables
My experience with those cables has been lousy. The Wii does not have VGA natively, and this cable uses a chip to convert component to it. From what Ive heard, the chip does not have the supplementary components it needs to work properly. The cable has issues. It will flicker black sometimes, wash out colors, and have trouble with interlaced video signals. 4/10, would not recommend over composite. There really isn't a good way to convert Component to VGA in a portable. Which really, really sucks because most small screens use VGA.

If your Wii portable is going to use a 7 inch screen, this is a great screen that accepts component video. We have yet to find anything (reasonably priced) that is smaller than this screen and accepts component video. If you want something smaller, your choices are Composite, S-video, or GC video.

GC Video is your best bet for VGA on a wii. It is wired straight to the GPU data lines, and grabs the video before the wii's video encoder. Its a bit more wiring, but you will get unrivaled picture quality and VGA for all your small screens. Problem is its still kind of in the "experimental" stages. SS and Aurelio got it working, but have yet to finalize and release their code. SS is the only one selling GC Video boards programmed for wii right now, so if you want one, you should contact him.

Noah

retired
Portables
There really isn't a good way to convert Component to VGA in a portable. Which really, really sucks because most small screens use VGA.
I mean with GCVideo there really isn't a need. I can be used on 3 consoles that we know of and outputs VGA so it's a perfect setup for most portables.

Problem is its still kind of in the "experimental" stages. SS and Aurelio got it working, but have yet to finalize and release their code.
Code is final AFAIK. The only thing left to do is make a guide and release the code alongside it from what I know. It's not "experimental" because you wire it up and it works :P

Yeah as I stated earlier, GCVideo would be the best adapter for VGA to an old monitor. I'd put it in a console you intend to use as a home console though so that it's worth your while.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
old VGA monitor I have
Drrr... overlooked that part. Sorry bout that. I got portables on my mind :D

Code is final AFAIK. The only thing left to do is make a guide and release the code alongside it from what I know. It's not "experimental" because you wire it up and it works :P
Hot damn. Cant wait.