Solved Wii turns on and immediately shuts off.

Mumble

Portables
Well.
Well well.

I had a working wii earlier, until I put it in my case, hot glued everything (headphone jack and screen) to the case, I went to turn it on annnnnnnnnnnd...It just shuts off immediately. I get a green light, then a red light, then no light. I have to unplug and replug the power to get the red light. Anyone?

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
Something went wrong when you glued it.

/thread

Mumble

Portables
Short. I'm sorry. I know I shouldn't be posting questions when I can take more time to find the answer. I know I know. But I was at the end of the project and it just stopped.

BocuD

Portables
I had this with my wii, and i fixed it (maybe a voltage leak, or something like that, somewhere?) by hooking it up to a bench power supply and slowly increasing the voltage. I tried everything from 10 to 20 volts and at 17 or 18 volts it randomly started working, like the minimum voltage to boot became way higher. You can try applying a higher voltage to your wii to find out if its dead or not, and if not, custom regulators might make it usable again. Good luck.

ShockSlayer

the real
Portables
please do not ask!!!! I will NOT respond
You can get a lot of voltage if you just wire the Wii directly to the wall socket. Just hold the wires on with your fingers. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

fibbef

Wizardry V Completer
SS trying to kill the community the only way he knows how: by killing all of its members.

Shank

Staff member
Portables
I've had this error on a few Wiis before. The green then red light normally means the 2901 is detecting a voltage anomaly. In other words, you either have a short, or a problem with your regulator circuitry. If you can't find the source of the problem, that Wii should still work if you trim it and run it on custom regulators.

Mumble

Portables
I believe this has happened to me, but it fixed itself when i unplugged the power supply and replugged a few mins later
I have had this work with previous overheats (without the heat sink on). Definitely a good thing to try.