Question Wii trim not working

BocuD

Portables
Hey guys,
I decided to continue with the Nintendo Swiitch. If I finish it in time I will post it as a contest entry, but I'm not sure if ill be able to finish it in time.
Also, I created a new thread for this so you can find it without reading trough the entire worklog (if someone else has trimming problems)
Anyways, I just trimmed a new motherboard and it is surprisingly (ahem) not working. I double checked all of the ground connections and these are the voltages of the regulators when the wii is turned on (the cpu and gpu heat up)
1v line: hovers between 0,99 and 1v
1,15v line: solid 1,18v
3,3v line: solid 3,32v
5v line (not necessary but hey): solid 5,03v

The resistance between each voltage line and ground:
1v to ground: 1255
1v to 1,15v: 192
1v to 3,3v: 800
1,15v to ground: 1,6 ohms (yes shorted, I know)
1,15v to 3,3v: infinite
3,3v to ground: infinite

This is my trimmed motherboard. It is a bit bigger then the red line tells me to cut, but I wanted the AV connector on here for now because convenience :)

IMG_5607.JPG

IMG_5606.JPG

The NOWIFI ios' have been installed and are working. There is currently no bluetooth module hooked up and no GC+ (:D)
I really hope one of you can help me with this. I think I will just continue sanding for now, have been doing that for the past 2 hours..

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Did you test your U10 before trimming? And did you put tape over your moherboard before trimming? These are two mistakes I made...

BocuD

Portables
I wasn't able to test U10 before trimming since the Wii doesn't turn on with our U5, which I removed. Yes I used tape, but it came loose after a while. Motherboard seems clean though. Also, aside from the 1,15v to god gnd short, there are no shorts.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
I'd start by removing the capacitors and other components on the edges of the trim that you cut in half. They are not required.

BocuD

Portables
Shit me I did a fuck
I think my display driver board is dead.
I don't know why but the center chip heats up to the point that I can't touch it, after 3 seconds. It draws about 6 watts, even when the display isn't connected. It's an L7009 display. I know @Aurelio has one of those displays so maybe he can help me. Here are some pictures of the driver board:
Driver board by itself: (the MST703-LF chip is the one that heated up, it is the big chip in the center)
IMG_5618.JPG

Driver board bottom:
IMG_5619.JPG

Display front: (don't know if it helps but why not)
IMG_5620.JPG

Front ribbon cable:
IMG_5621.JPG

Display back ribbon cable:
IMG_5622.JPG

If any of the pictures isn't clear just tell me, I'll upload another one. Also, I would like to have this worklog moved back since there is a chance that I'll finish the portable in time (if I don't need to order a new display at least, since shipping takes ages)
If any off you know of any quick way to get a new complete display (l7009 or l7007hd) without waiting 20 days please tell me, I really want to finish this portable in time. Perhaps you @Aurelio know of a way, since you have one as well?
Also, I can't confirm if bluetooth is working since I don't have a gamecube controller nor a synced wiimote, and I can't sync a wii remote without a gamecube controller (maybe any of you knows a way to get to the system menu?)
Thanks a lot in advance.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Shit me I did a fuck
I think my display driver board is dead.
I don't know why but the center chip heats up to the point that I can't touch it, after 3 seconds. It draws about 6 watts, even when the display isn't connected. It's an L7009 display. I know @Aurelio has one of those displays so maybe he can help me. Here are some pictures of the driver board:
Driver board by itself: (the MST703-LF chip is the one that heated up, it is the big chip in the center)
View attachment 3329
Driver board bottom:
View attachment 3330
Display front: (don't know if it helps but why not)
View attachment 3331
Front ribbon cable:
View attachment 3332
Display back ribbon cable:
View attachment 3333
If any of the pictures isn't clear just tell me, I'll upload another one. Also, I would like to have this worklog moved back since there is a chance that I'll finish the portable in time (if I don't need to order a new display at least, since shipping takes ages)
If any off you know of any quick way to get a new complete display (l7009 or l7007hd) without waiting 20 days please tell me, I really want to finish this portable in time. Perhaps you @Aurelio know of a way, since you have one as well?
Also, I can't confirm if bluetooth is working since I don't have a gamecube controller nor a synced wiimote, and I can't sync a wii remote without a gamecube controller (maybe any of you knows a way to get to the system menu?)
Thanks a lot in advance.
Hold the reset button while powering the Wii on, Priiloader will open. IIRC you can use the reset button to navigate to "System Menu" and the eject button to select it, it's one of the top 4 options. That'll boot the Wii system menu and you can sync the wiimote. Otherwise, hold reset when powering on to load Priiloader, wait for at least 15-20 actual seconds, then press reset and it'll reboot to the system menu.

As for the screen, are you absolutely sure you're giving it the right voltage?

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
No, it was just turned on without video input displaying just a blue square with no signal on it.
Then it randomly shut off and stopped working. I really hope DX can ship me a new one in less then the 5 - 7 business days that it takes according to the shipping information. That is because the only other screen I currently have and can use is a 7 inch 480x234 display that only works with composite. I looks worse then a 240p youtube video.. If DX doesn't ship fast enough I don't think I'll be able to finish my portable in time.
Anyways I posted this post and the previous post in the wrong thread, so I'll move them over (just copy everything)

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
If you're dead set on finishing in time, you can finish it with what you have, and take it apart to fix it up when your parts arrive.

BocuD

Portables
If you're dead set on finishing in time, you can finish it with what you have, and take it apart to fix it up when your parts arrive.
Yeah i think ill do that