Discussion Wii Power Management System (open source)

Portables
0 :(
Hey, so I've been looking to getting into portable builds recently, and I've been trying to do a lot of research and figuring out how I will accomplish my build. My main concern is the batteries, as I haven't done a project with them yet, but I'm eager to learn. I love this design, especially with all of the safety features in mind. I still have a few questions though:

1. This seems to be designed for the 18650 Li-ion batteries, but Li-Po batteries seem to be similar, and would fit my planned form factor better, so are they good to be used in this setup?
2. I know the circuit is designed with parallel 18650s in mind, would I need to have parallel Li-Po's? Or could I just do 1 Li-Po?
3. How much current will I have to work with? I'm thinking of doing a Pi CM4 board, and my screen draws about 0.6A max. The CM4 board should take a maximum of 1.4A, and with peripherals in mind, it'd maybe add 0.5A, so I'd be looking at maybe 2.5A? I've looked into the datasheets and see about 4A on that boost converter. I shouldn't need this, but is that theoretically the max? or is there other factors I need to consider for my maximum current?

Thanks in advance!
As far as I know this is a power management board for a wii portable and not a raspberry pi. The voltages are all designed for what the wii motherboard needs as well as the screen. As for the battery I really don’t have that much info but, I don’t think using 2 lipo battery’s would work because the charge amps been set for 1s2p 18650 specifically. Again maybe I’m missing something.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hey, so I've been looking to getting into portable builds recently, and I've been trying to do a lot of research and figuring out how I will accomplish my build. My main concern is the batteries, as I haven't done a project with them yet, but I'm eager to learn. I love this design, especially with all of the safety features in mind. I still have a few questions though:

1. This seems to be designed for the 18650 Li-ion batteries, but Li-Po batteries seem to be similar, and would fit my planned form factor better, so are they good to be used in this setup?
2. I know the circuit is designed with parallel 18650s in mind, would I need to have parallel Li-Po's? Or could I just do 1 Li-Po?
3. How much current will I have to work with? I'm thinking of doing a Pi CM4 board, and my screen draws about 0.6A max. The CM4 board should take a maximum of 1.4A, and with peripherals in mind, it'd maybe add 0.5A, so I'd be looking at maybe 2.5A? I've looked into the datasheets and see about 4A on that boost converter. I shouldn't need this, but is that theoretically the max? or is there other factors I need to consider for my maximum current?

Thanks in advance!
You can use lipos in parallel just fine. Using one lipo on its own is also possible, but you'll need to check its charge/discharge rate to make sure it can supply the current. I dunno about the 5v max output, but if the datasheet says 4A it's probably correct. Any particular reason why you want to use a PMS to run a Pi?

OfflineRocket

2023 2nd Place
Portables
Unfortunately 0
You can use lipos in parallel just fine. Using one lipo on its own is also possible, but you'll need to check its charge/discharge rate to make sure it can supply the current. I dunno about the 5v max output, but if the datasheet says 4A it's probably correct. Any particular reason why you want to use a PMS to run a Pi?
I'll be sure to check the charge and discharge rates, buying good batteries is another thing that I'll have to research. Nice to know that I can use LiPos.

The main reason I want to use it for a Pi is a few reasons, mainly being that I plan on incorporating it into a controller PCB that I'd use for a Wii Portable, and a separate Pi portable (I need to order 5 minimum, might as well design it for multiple uses), I'd just not populate the unused voltages (1, 1.5 and 1.8) for the Pi, but populate them for the Wii version. Not to mention I like the features that the PMS has, such as the shutoff for if the system overheats, LED indicator, and 12V charging.

I've looked into other systems and haven't found one as good. (I'd look into making my own, but I'm not at the point where I can design those systems myself yet, I'll learn from other's first)

A_s6

Portables
i don’t give a hee ho
depending on your knowledge of the circuitry and/or experience with pcb design you could modify the pms to only supply 5v(for the pi) and keep the quality of life features, it should be more cost effective

Pokeko

Hello everyone.

I wanted to order a board for the Wii but the stock is empty so I'm going to make some directly.

Have you ever tried to have the whole PCB made directly by JLCPCB for example? I plan to send them everything except the PIC so I can program it.

Can these be used with batteries that are not 18650? If there are smaller batteries that could be used with the wii, can we use it with those?

Hey everybody,

I am very interested in building my portable WII and I am ordering the board as well as the electronic components for the RVL Power Management System.
The problem is that the Buck Switching Regulator Adjustable 0.8V 4A (TLV62095RGTR Texas instruments) is impossible to find on Mouser or Digikey now and on all the sites foresee a delivery beginning of 2022 !

Would anyone on the forum know where there would be stock or agree to sell me some (I need 4 but ideally 6 if my soldering is too bad!). I am based in Switzerland. Please write me a PM!

Hey everybody,

I am very interested in building my portable WII and I am ordering the board as well as the electronic components for the RVL Power Management System.
The problem is that the Buck Switching Regulator Adjustable 0.8V 4A (TLV62095RGTR Texas instruments) is impossible to find on Mouser or Digikey now and on all the sites foresee a delivery beginning of 2022 !

Would anyone on the forum know where there would be stock or agree to sell me some (I need 4 but ideally 6 if my soldering is too bad!). I am based in Switzerland. Please write me a PM!
According to Texas Instruments the TPS62095 has the same functionality and pinout. https://www.ti.com/product-folders/compare?parts=TLV62095,TPS62095&familyId=751&source=prodfolder
It still seems difficult to find those, but a couple of sellers on Aliexpress have them in stock for a reasonable price.

Hi everyone. Seeing that the pms wont come back to the Store I want to build my one using the open Source Files!
However I cannot find the Buck Regs listed in the BOM. Does anyone by chance have some laying around which I can buy off you? Or even better are there known Alternatives to the BuckRegs listed? Im very new to these Components and dont really know what to look for... :/

Hi everyone. Seeing that the pms wont come back to the Store I want to build my one using the open Source Files!
However I cannot find the Buck Regs listed in the BOM. Does anyone by chance have some laying around which I can buy off you? Or even better are there known Alternatives to the BuckRegs listed? Im very new to these Components and dont really know what to look for... :/
You can buy the new one here, their is also the usb c board, the audio board, the gc+2, and the rvl nand relocation flex.