Discussion Wii Power Management System (open source)

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
20190102_154619.jpg

https://github.com/Gmanmodz/Wii-Power-Management-System

Here are the pcb files, code, and bill of materials for my Wii Power Management System.

4 buck regulators - 1v, 1.15v, 1.8v, and 3.3v
1 boost regulator - 5v
Battery management IC - seamless play and charge and battery protection
PIC microcontroller

Interface:
hold down button for around 1 second to turn on and off. Tap button shortly to cycle through the led modes:
1. leds off
2. RGB fade
3. Battery monitor
4. Shipping mode (when it is turned off in this mode, it cannot be turned on until you plug in a charger)

the interface is shown in the Wiivision:

A - "Auxiliary" IO. default code there is no purpose.
btn - wire to a tact switch connected to ground for on/off
T-, T+ - thermistor for thermal protection. Cuts off ~75C
R-, B-, G- - wire to the common anode RGB led, Anode can be wired to a source voltage like 3.3v
CHRG - this is the DC voltage source charger input. Recommended to use 12V DC. Cannot exceed 14V! The default code is set to I charge 3.072 A which is ideal for a 1S2P 18650 battery configuration. Please make sure to check the specifications of the battery against the charging settings of the system before use.
B+ - Battery positive connection

It's not perfect by any means but it is stable and has already been installed working in 3 portables. I would like to thank Aurelio for the answers to many questions I had over the past 2 years I've worked on this and also for the inspiration from his Powermii. I'd also like to thank Shank for helping me test it further on the Wiivision project.

Last edited:

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
IMG_4115.JPG

thanks Gman, will really be useful for projects for other members!

buzzyc

Question: Does the 1.8v pad now allows for Lmao/LMAOv2 trims without the need to reconnect the LDO?
Or is the LDO still required in some capacity?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Question: Does the 1.8v pad now allows for Lmao/LMAOv2 trims without the need to reconnect the LDO?
Or is the LDO still required in some capacity?
The LDO is NOT required for relocation if you are using the 1.8v regulator on this board. I would only recommend installing the 1.8v regulator if you are doing an LMAO trim, otherwise keep the LDO on the Wii and don't assemble the 1.8v reg parts (it's a few dollars cheaper too)

buzzyc

Thanks for the clarification Gman.
I've looked through the schematic on KiCAD but I'm no engineer so I'm not certain what not to populate if I don't need 1.8v.
Is it as simple as not populating the components in the red square?

upload_2019-3-18_12-34-10.png

Thanks in advance.

Papa J

Portables
View attachment 8247
Here are the pcb files, code, and bill of materials for my Wii Power Management System.
this is so cool! I looked at that board when I watched the videos and drooled over it :!::!::!:

Is it just me though or is there a problem with the BOM at row 9 in the parts number column? I tried plugging her into digikey and she gets angry :rothink:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
this is so cool! I looked at that board when I watched the videos and drooled over it :!::!::!:

Is it just me though or is there a problem with the BOM at row 9 in the parts number column? I tried plugging her into digikey and she gets angry :rothink:
Oops that's not a part number! Thanks!

Assuming the buck regulators are adjustable, do you think you could change the values of the passives to more suit a PS2 portable?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Assuming the buck regulators are adjustable, do you think you could change the values of the passives to more suit a PS2 portable?
Yes it would be possible but it's not the best idea. Some of the PS2 voltages use very little current so these regulators would not be as efficient. I originally made this system for the PS2 with different regulators, but I ported it over to the Wii for a different project. I should finish up my PS2 PMS soon..

This looks awesome
I've never really done this kind of thing before but I wanna try would do I need to buy (besides BOM things obviously) to start making one of these

Super fantastic!!! I really feel like I need this board for my portable. Although, lots of tiny parts for the board and finding the exact parts sound exhausting, I was wondering if I could buy one from you...?

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Super fantastic!!! I really feel like I need this board for my portable. Although, lots of tiny parts for the board and finding the exact parts sound exhausting, I was wondering if I could buy one from you...?
Possibly soon, hold tight.

Pushed some new changes to the code..
1. LED mode cannot be changed when the charger is plugged in. Would not make sense because the charger led status takes preference over led modes
2. Charger led status fades the color in and out. This is important because now there is a distinction between low battery (red) and pre-charging (also red).
3. I experimented with a soft shutdown (before VBATT is too low to supply the 3.3v line to Wii). I have experienced that the built in ADC is not reliable at a lower VBATT and it shuts down way too soon (even if I lowball the shutdown value). This feature is pushed back for now but I will keep on testing.

If anyone has any recommendations or features they would like to see added, let me know!

Possibly soon, hold tight.

Pushed some new changes to the code..
1. LED mode cannot be changed when the charger is plugged in. Would not make sense because the charger led status takes preference over led modes
2. Charger led status fades the color in and out. This is important because now there is a distinction between low battery (red) and pre-charging (also red).
3. I experimented with a soft shutdown (before VBATT is too low to supply the 3.3v line to Wii). I have experienced that the built in ADC is not reliable at a lower VBATT and it shuts down way too soon (even if I lowball the shutdown value). This feature is pushed back for now but I will keep on testing.

If anyone has any recommendations or features they would like to see added, let me know!
Amazing. It's truly a work of art. But if I wouldn't want, let's say... To wait for it to become sellable, what are all the parts to make one, if I'm willing to spend the amount of time and energy to make one, what will be all the exact parts that you used like with the links and stuff, cuz there's more than different sizes regulators and stuff. (Sorry in advance if this has already been asked or whatever.)