Question Wii portable using a touchscreen?

Hey guys. I'm fairly new to the hardware modding scene. So far I've modded a few GBAs and helped a friend build a home made arcade cabinet from scratch. I've been wanting to make a Wii portable for years now and am coming up with a few designs. One of which was to use a touch screen as a replacement for wiimote aiming and possibly also replace wiimote motion for wii games such as Skyward Sword. Perhaps a finger swipe could translate into a sword swipe, or a touch be used to aim the bow. Has anyone attempted something like this in a build? And if so what advice or tips can you give? This is just one of my possible ideas but I'd like to know if it is feasible.

For a screen I was thinking something similar to this perhaps. The screen is normally for Raspberry Pi touchscreen, but it should serve well with some adjustments.

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
It's been done before, @JacksonS is the only one who has done it. It would require reverse engineering the wiimote and a microcontroller at the very least, which is a non-trivial task. If you're new to writing firmware I wouldn't recommend attempting it.

Additionally, that display will not work. You need to use something that supports composite video or (preferably) VGA/component.

It's been done before, @JacksonS is the only one who has done it. It would require reverse engineering the wiimote and a microcontroller at the very least, which is a non-trivial task. If you're new to writing firmware I wouldn't recommend attempting it.

Additionally, that display will not work. You need to use something that supports composite video or (preferably) VGA/component.
Thanks for the reply. I imagine that without help this is probably an idea outside of my current skill level. However, I'll have to see if I can do this idea in the future as I think it opens up certain games too reliant on the Wiimote to be effective without something to replace it accurately.

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Thanks for the reply. I imagine that without help this is probably an idea outside of my current skill level without help. However, I'll have to see if I can do this idea in the future as I think it opens up certain games too reliant on the Wiimote to be effective without something to replace it accurately.
Aurelio has wiimote emulation with a GameCube controller in beta, you might want to look into that instead.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Aurelio has wiimote emulation with a GameCube controller in beta, you might want to look into that instead.
I did test a touchscreen with a custom build of GC2Wiimote. Works fine