Question Wii Portable Total Power Draw (mah)

Hey guys, I looked around the forums and couldn’t find a specific, definitive answer for this question.

In total, how much does a completed wii portable in terms of mah? I mean with the screen, controller, console and all.

I’m just trying to decide on some batteries before I purchase them and knowing this would really help.

Thank you guys!

Shank

Staff member
Portables
A lof of it depends on the parts you use. Portables with 6 layer boards, larger screens or less efficient regulators use more power. A basic Wii portable with a 4 layer board, TI regs, and a 5 inch screen will use about 10 watts of power.
Your next question is probably "well how many mah is 10 watts?" As for mah, mah stands for miliamp hours, which is a measurement of capacity, not power consumption. Multiplying the milliamp hours by the nominal voltage of your cell gives you the battery capacity in watt hours (WH). Take the total watt hour capacity of your batteries in watt hours, and divide that by your power consumption in watts. As an example of this, lets use a single 3.7v 3400 mah panasonic 18650, currently the most popular battery for making portables.

3400 milliamp hours is equal to 3.4 amp hours
3.4 amp hours * 3.7 volts = 12.58 watt hours
12.58 watt hours / 10 watts is 1.258 hours or about 1 hour 15 minutes

Due to variances in capacity between cells and various other inefficiencies, the actual life usually ranges between an hour and an hour and 10 minutes. Hope this helps!

A lof of it depends on the parts you use. Portables with 6 layer boards, larger screens or less efficient regulators use more power. A basic Wii portable with a 4 layer board, TI regs, and a 5 inch screen will use about 10 watts of power.
Your next question is probably "well how many mah is 10 watts?" As for mah, mah stands for miliamp hours, which is a measurement of capacity, not power consumption. Multiplying the milliamp hours by the nominal voltage of your cell gives you the battery capacity in watt hours (WH). Take the total watt hour capacity of your batteries in watt hours, and divide that by your power consumption in watts. As an example of this, lets use a single 3.7v 3400 mah panasonic 18650, currently the most popular battery for making portables.

3400 milliamp hours is equal to 3.4 amp hours
3.4 amp hours * 3.7 volts = 12.58 watt hours
12.58 watt hours / 10 watts is 1.258 hours or about 1 hour 15 minutes

Due to variances in capacity between cells and various other inefficiencies, the actual life usually ranges between an hour and an hour and 10 minutes. Hope this helps!
Thank you! @Shank

I should of been a little more specific, however the information you provided is great. I am aware and have an understanding of electronics such as watts, amps, mah, etc., but I just don't have a system to measure and gage off of, so was hoping someone could share their results just so I can get a ballpark estimate.