Question WII portable tips

Kirbo

Portables
None..... Yet
Hello any tips for a newbie as myself thinking of trying the louii (when he updates the files) or the Ashida when I get money since those are the portables that interest me the most. I have some experience in making custom gameboys but portables are a entirely new field for me. So tips?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Best tip I can give is to buy solder and flux from a reputable brand like Kester. You'll be doing a lot of soldering, so using good quality solder and flux will save you a lot of time, and also make it much easier to form good solid joints.

That and to make sure that you've tested RVLoader and all the relocations you intend to perform before trimming your Wii, and to make sure you trim a bit outside the guidelines to give yourself room to sand the board. Many a time have beginners trimmed on or just inside the lines and ended up severing essential traces and components.

Approach everything with caution and commonsense, don't cheap out on tools and parts, and ask all the questions you need. We're here to help!

Kirbo

Portables
None..... Yet
Thank-you. I already have a good solder iron the Hakko FX888D gear and a good screw driver kit I just need a good dremel. But thanks for the tips :)). I will post a work-log when I start doing my louii

I have the version of wii that isn’t backwards compatible with the GameCube, and how would I trim that for the G- Boy rev 3 opposed to the original Wii

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
I have the version of wii that isn’t backwards compatible with the GameCube, and how would I trim that for the G- Boy rev 3 opposed to the original Wii
For future reference, it's best to make your own thread when your post doesn't pertain to other threads. That being said, the best thing for you to do would be to read up on The Definitive Wii Trimming Guide, as that holds most of the info needed to trim a Wii and rewire everything to it. As for the G-Boy, it requires a slightly modified trim - the top corners are cut and it retains the fourth screw post normally lost in a standard OMGWTF trim. This trim can be found in the How-to Guides (which also has the full G-Boy assembly manual).

It doesn't matter that your Wii doesn't have Gamecube ports, the controller data relocation points are exactly the same.

All of that being said, the G-Boy kit is no longer being made; however, Dustin Fisher here on the forums made a revised version that accommodates the 4LayerTech boards. You'll need to order his custom PCBs and source the rest of the parts yourself. That project also requires some PCB assembly, including soldering some fine-pitch pins. Not the best project for a beginner. I would highly recommend looking into the Ashida, it is way more beginner friendly.

gowi

does anyone know how I gain privileges to post on this thread

Kirbo

Portables
None..... Yet
Hey you said to get solder flux from Kester. Also should I get a circuit board holder or helping hands; not entirely sure if I need it.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hey you said to get solder flux from Kester. Also should I get a circuit board holder or helping hands; not entirely sure if I need it.
A decent set of helping hands can be quite useful for splicing, but I never really found them useful for portablising

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Kester is one of the best brands for no-clean flux, yes