Question Wii Portable Questions

Portables
Hello everyone!
I'd just like to preface this thread by apologizing in advance for my lack of knowledge, as I am sure it will become a problem.

Anyway, this summer I decided that I was going to build a portable. I've had my eyes on it for the past two years now, but always said: "That's WAY out of my price range." Now I actually have some money, so I'm taking the plunge! My first instinct was to try to buy a G-Boy but then I saw that the BitBuilt Store is now inoperative. So instead, I looked at the next easiest option and that was the Gman's G-Wii! I've done lots of research and compiled a spreadsheet BOM for my portable. I just have a few questions before I start ordering stuff and trimming my Wii.

1. Do I absolutely NEED a hot air station? I'm trying to avoid buying as many tools for this project because they'll likely only be used once, so unless it's essential, I'd like to avoid having to buy one.
  2. Does anyone have any resource recommendations OUTSIDE of the guide hub, the many sticky threads, and the two lovely trimming and G-Boy manuals? There are a lot of fantastic resources here, I'm just wondering if anyone has some extra ones that could be useful.
  3. What's the average prototyping process? Do you solder everything up, trim it, solder everything else, then cram it into a case? Of course, testing after every change is important, so you know what the cause was if something went wrong. I'm a little worried that with my luck, I'll solder everything together, but when I go to shove it in the case it won't fit.
  4. And lastly, if anyone has any tips, tricks, or warnings regarding this project, I'd be happy to hear them. The fewer things I have to replace, the better.
And also, if anyone would like to give criticism/reference my very unoriginal BOM, it's right here. It's based on Ginger's Louii BOM and this one here.

Thanks,
Schmeeker

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
First off, thank you for putting so much research into this project, you're already on a really good track. Personally, I have only built one portable so far, but am currently in the process of building a second portable, alongside a wii micro. To give my two cents on your questions:

1. Unless you plan on assembling your own PCBs, a hot air station is not necessary. I, along many others, completed my first portable without one and I don't feel like you'd get your money's worth if you're just using it for little things that are easily accomplished with a soldering iron.

2. I would say that the guides and forums are the best sources of information. If you haven't already, definitely join the BitBuilt Discord server. You'll get much faster responses to quick questions if it's just something small.

3. *In my opinion*, the best process would be to wire everything while it's in the case in order to have tidy wiring. Of course, if you're just checking to make sure the board posts after trimming, some quick and dirty wiring out of the case is A okay, so long as you redo it later. Again, wiring everything in the case avoids spaghetti, which is always a good thing.

4. The best advice I can give is to read, read, and read again. Knowing the manuals inside and out will really help you get an understanding of the dos and don'ts. As previously mentioned, the Discord server is the perfect place to ask little questions as you go, and don't be afraid to ask anything! So long as you show you've put effort into research and aren't asking something that could be found at the first google result, we'll help out as much as we can.

If you haven't seen yet, check out the 4layer store, manned by Gman, Aurelio and Shank. They're putting out some amazing stuff, and Gman recently revised the GWii CAD files to accomodate for the new boards.

Keep us posted here about your progress! Happy building!

Hi! I can supply to you a FULL parts list for a G-Wii if you would like! (But the parts will work for multiple portables) I've been working on this for months, so if it helps you out I'd be willing to share it with you!

Portables
Wow! Thanks so much, I wasn't expecting replies within a day, let alone within an hour.

I can supply to you a FULL parts list for a G-Wii if you would like!
I would like that very much, thank you! I'd love to compare because you probably have much more reputable sellers on your list. Thank you very much!

Keep us posted here about your progress! Happy building!
Kudos to you for your extensive reply! I've just got one more question that will determine the fate of this thread:
Should I start a brand-new thread for the worklog and close this one, or just post my updates here? I'm assuming that it would be preferred for me to make a new one.

Thank you both for your lightning-fast, super welcoming replies! It really makes me glad to see such wholesomeness and dedication to see such kind messages.

Thanks,
Schmeeker

Wow! Thanks so much, I wasn't expecting replies within a day, let alone within an hour.

I would like that very much, thank you! I'd love to compare because you probably have much more reputable sellers on your list. Thank you very much!

Kudos to you for your extensive reply! I've just got one more question that will determine the fate of this thread:
Should I start a brand-new thread for the worklog and close this one, or just post my updates here? I'm assuming that it would be preferred for me to make a new one.

Thank you both for your lightning-fast, super welcoming replies! It really makes me glad to see such wholesomeness and dedication to see such kind messages.

Thanks,
Schmeeker
Here you go!

All these parts are from my knowledge the BEST parts to get for a gwii. However, everything will take up to 2 months to ship... and a lot of parts are from alliexpress to achieve the low price

Portables
Again, wow. That took you five minutes, tops. Thank you very much for your time and answers!

Yeah ofc man! Glad I could help! Everyone on the forums, discord, and even myself are willing to help you with anything need!

Portables
Hello again, everyone! I have a few more miscellaneous questions!
  1. After ordering my heat sink, I realized that I had ordered a heat sink with the wrong dimensions. The length and width are okay, but it's about 4mm too tall. I ordered a 35x35x11mm rather than a 35x35x7mm. Is this a problem? Will it still work or will I have to trim it down? If so, how would I do it?
  2. I don't have ready access to a 3D printer, does anyone have any recommendations for 3D printing services? I've run the G-Wii case and buttons through one called CraftCloud 3D, and it's... really, really expensive. I'm also wondering if and where anyone in the community accepts requests for a case to be printed, because I would really appreciate that.
Thanks again! I'll be starting a worklog thread soon once my parts finish arriving.

Schmeeker

Hello again, everyone! I have a few more miscellaneous questions!
  1. After ordering my heat sink, I realized that I had ordered a heat sink with the wrong dimensions. The length and width are okay, but it's about 4mm too tall. I ordered a 35x35x11mm rather than a 35x35x7mm. Is this a problem? Will it still work or will I have to trim it down? If so, how would I do it?
  2. I don't have ready access to a 3D printer, does anyone have any recommendations for 3D printing services? I've run the G-Wii case and buttons through one called CraftCloud 3D, and it's... really, really expensive. I'm also wondering if and where anyone in the community accepts requests for a case to be printed, because I would really appreciate that.
Thanks again! I'll be starting a worklog thread soon once my parts finish arriving.

Schmeeker
I don't think that will fit for the G Wii, you could cut it down to the right size? My heatsink for the G Wii was 8mm and fits ok.

Portables
Thanks, I'll see if I can trim it.

I have another quick question, sorry.

I read that the new RVL-PMS 2 has built-in U10 emulation, does that mean that I don't need to relocate U10 when trimming? Should I relocate it just in case? And along those lines, is the MX chip relocation really necessary? Can I add it later if I don't feel like doing it right away?

Thanks again for putting up with my questions. I'm getting really close to building my portable.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
You don't need to do the U10 relocation if you use the RVL-PMS 2, just run a wire from the U10 pin on the pms to the U10 via on the wii. You can relocate the MX chip later, as long as you set aside the small piece of the board with the MX on it.

Portables
Thanks so much, cheese!
Does that mean that I don't need to remove U5 or any of those components either? Do I still need to remove the LDO?

I put my worklog with all my building-related questions here.
Thanks,
Schmeeker

Last edited:
Sorry for the dumb question in advance. You mentioned Rvloader and I was wondering if you knew how to exit rvloader games and return to the menu without shutting off the wii?

StonedEdge

a.k.a. ClonedEdge
Portables
Sorry for the dumb question in advance. You mentioned Rvloader and I was wondering if you knew how to exit rvloader games and return to the menu without shutting off the wii?
Its still not been integrated by Aurelio yet. You can do the traditional Nintendont combo (R + Z + B + D-Pad Down) to exit GC games but Wii games require hard reset unfortunately.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
Does that mean that I don't need to remove U5 or any of those components either? Do I still need to remove the LDO?
Correct, you don't need to remove any of the U5/U9/U10. The LDO is optional to remove, however it gives better efficiency to use the regulator in the pms