Question Wii portable battery and other questions (beginner)

Hello guys,

I am currently planning on building my first Wii portable with a MB trim.
After hours of research in the forums I began to make a list of parts to buy. I don't want to waste money by buying parts that won't work toghether, therefore I wanted to ask a couple questions before buying.

1. If a trim the motherboard and use custom regulators, I need a screen with 5V input. This (https://www.ebay.de/itm/Mini-5-LCD-...3f39a7026:g:mgYAAOSwkfxb9AzL&autorefresh=true) is the only 480p 5V lcd I could find. Are there any better options? I read about modifying a 12V screen to work with 5V (https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/screen-for-wii-portable.2155/), but no one told exactly what to do.

2. After reading the battery guide (https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/portables-and-batteries-a-guide-and-explanation.2228/) I decided to use the recommended CMB (https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intelligent...2S-Packs-18650-lithium-Satellite/311721987212). It says the input voltage is 9-15V. Is there any way to charge via USB or do I need a 12V power supply?

3. Does the CMB work with any 18650 lithium battery? For example, I found these 8800mAh batteries (https://www.ebay.de/itm/GPI-grun-88...375443?hash=item3cca423953:g:X-YAAOSwCY5dJHOA) which are much higher than the tested Panasonic 3400mah NCR18650B MH12210 (Green). Will these work or are there any downsides to this batteries?

4. I know that I should use thicker wires for voltage, ground... But do the other wires have to be a specific type or can I use the ones I have at home. I read something about magnet wires but did not understand their use case. What else should I consider about wires, since I do not want to relocate wifi.

I really appreciate your help and I am looking forward to your answers.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
1. You can always power the screens off of the direct battery voltage (through the CMB), and at that point most of the ones labeled 12V will work fine. Also, if you post a picture of a board you'd like to use we can give directions as to how to power it off of lower voltages.

2. The input voltage has to be higher than the battery voltage, so you would need to use the higher 9-15v supply.

3. Yes, the CMB will work with any 18650, however that one you linked does not have the advertised capacity. It is most likely around 1500mAh, as the largest legitimate battery capacity is around 3500mAh.

4. Magnet wire is extremely small and easy to route cleanly which is why people suggest using it. The main considerations you need for wires are if you are carrying power or signal over it. Things like audio and video need shielded wire, and power wires need to be thicker, but everything else can go over any wire that you have

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
THIS is the magnet wire I use, it is fantastic. Makes everything so much cleaner and neat compared to using silicon coated (or other) wires. Just have to burn a bit of the enamel coating off the end to solder it and you're good to go.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
THIS is the magnet wire I use, it is fantastic. Makes everything so much cleaner and neat compared to using silicon coated (or other) wires. Just have to burn a bit of the enamel coating off the end to solder it and you're good to go.
Yeah nah, don't buy 26AWG magnet wire it's too thick and springy. 30, 34, or 38AWG sure, but not 26.

When talking about wires, which kind of shielded wire could you recommend. I searched on Ebay and Amazon but did not find any suitable wires which are reasonable priced.

Portables
Wii Laptop V2.0, GameCube SPITE
When talking about wires, which kind of shielded wire could you recommend. I searched on Ebay and Amazon but did not find any suitable wires which are reasonable priced.
I personally haven't used shielded wire, just regular insulated silicon wire like this, and I haven’t had any problem. I’d imagine if you don’t need shielded wire often you could probably just make it yourself or harvest it from another cord such as a power cord or something, several of those have shielded wires, and one cord would last quite awhile.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
If the wii you got came with video cables, those are all shielded, you can just grab some of that wire

Ekterm

Portables
Wii Laptop, PCii mk A
Also the wifi antenna wire is shielded