Worklog Wii pico

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
What specifically do you think you have a short on?

After other bit of sanding i think i wont get it much better but is the u10 pad on rvl 001 board supposed to be connected with ground? / have slightly less than its advised and with others saying that old path was cut inside I might not have cut it to point to cut the trace

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
If the board is trimmed, then you don't need to worry about cutting the U10 trace

If the board is trimmed, then you don't need to worry about cutting the U10 trace
yeah but if i test it against ground it has continuety as i have made the cut little bit bigger(means in safe way like ouside of the bounds)
PS: Do you have any tips about soldering that tiny wire to these tiny pads on bottom of gpu/cpu?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
yeah but if i test it against ground it has continuety as i have made the cut little bit bigger(means in safe way like ouside of the bounds)
PS: Do you have any tips about soldering that tiny wire to these tiny pads on bottom of gpu/cpu?
Scratch the pads a bit with a sharp razor blade to expose as much of the copper as you can, use hella flux, and take your time.

Scratch the pads a bit with a sharp razor blade to expose as much of the copper as you can, use hella flux, and take your time.
Yeah i seem to succesfully soldered 1st wire but as before Is it normal that old u10 pin is connected to ground?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I'm afraid I don't know anything about 6 layer boards

The trace is in an internal layer. When you trim the board you also cut the trace.
I tried sanding even more and if i buzz bridged pins of u10 against ground i get beep = they are connected. Should this happen or no? Do you have any available rvl001 board scans(internal layers)?

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
I got it now sorry. Meanwhile from different source. Are there any pinout changes between iterations of cpu, gpu, nand and ave?

Also iam very slowly progressing with wire soldering(another 2- 4 wires to go(depending on if i want to have 2 usb ports)) what is recommended temperature for soldering.

Last edited:

Isnt usb 2 and 3 supposed to be reversed as it has flipped orientation against connector

Ok after a lot of soldering done i pluged av into tv and mb, power into wall and regulators everything seems fine all voltages are at right levels even through i thought i bridged 2 wires its ok after probing with multimeter U10(U9 in my case when desoldering i lost U10) is getting 3.3v at output leg signals are going from AVE to end of AV cable i know TV works bcz of another Wii, cpu and gpu are slowly heating up(normally) but the MB WONT OUTPUT ANY VIDEO(and/or sound)("no signal" on TV) WTF
Anyone can help?

Last edited:

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
Ok after a lot of soldering done i pluged av into tv and mb, power into wall and regulators everything seems fine all voltages are at right levels even through i thought i bridged 2 wires its ok after probing with multimeter U10(U9 in my case when desoldering i lost U10) is getting 3.3v at output leg signals are going from AVE to end of AV cable i know TV works bcz of another Wii, cpu and gpu are slowly heating up(normally) but the MB WONT OUTPUT ANY VIDEO(and/or sound)("no signal" on TV) WTF
Anyone can help?
The trick to troubleshooting is eliminating as many variables when you test. So wire reset to ground so it will boot into priiloader (this eliminates USB troubleshooting). Make sure the TV shares a common ground with the Wii or it will not work. Also pictures will help us too.

The trick to troubleshooting is eliminating as many variables when you test. So wire reset to ground so it will boot into priiloader (this eliminates USB troubleshooting). Make sure the TV shares a common ground with the Wii or it will not work. Also pictures will help us too.
I used original cable and connector on MB was left as is,
IMG_20190401_163622.jpg
IMG_20190401_163620.jpg
IMG_20190401_163401.jpg
IMG_20190401_163401.jpg
IMG_20190401_163543.jpg

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
Yikes.

There is something very wrong with the way you are soldering. The board should not be blackened to a crisp around those vias. What kind of soldering iron and what level of heat are you using?

Try cleaning the board with isopropyl alcohol to see what comes up and what doesn't, but you may have burned off some of those vias which would mean this motherboard is useless.

Gman

RTFDS
Staff member
It appears like you only have thermal pads on the Wii, that is not going to do any good cooling it. You need a heatsink on it. It might make it easier if you unsolder the BT module until you get the wii booting.

STAMOS Schlaing 325(insert that small o here)C soldering takes me a lot of time as solder does not want to stick to wire nor the mb
IMG_20190401_171329.jpg
IMG_20190401_171321.jpg
IMG_20190401_171535.jpg
IMG_20190401_171530.jpg

Atleast under magnifying galss pads looks to be good
ignore that white tape its there to hold the wire to the reset pin
and as I think about it i cannot test board now as alcohol needs to dry as its good conductor

Attachments

Last edited:
It appears like you only have thermal pads on the Wii, that is not going to do any good cooling it. You need a heatsink on it. It might make it easier if you unsolder the BT module until you get the wii booting.
I know that was when I thought it will go smooth i have heatsink ready for it

Last edited:
Uhh board still wont boot even after desoldered everything and tried to resolder U10(U9)(still havent got grip to solder magnet wire to that small pin) even adding direct connection for composite between aves first resistor and connector. I can try to resodlere U9 one more time.
Can it be anything else?Is there any other way of knowing board boots as there are no leds etc to atleast know difference between bad connection ave tv and cpu u10

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
This motherboard is dead, you've burned too many critical points to a crisp.

You should buy some magnet wire and flux, and practice soldering to the vias on this dead board before you try again on another Wii. The board should look just as pretty as before when you are done soldering to the vias. Also are you sure that you gave the correct name for your soldering iron? I googled it and the search came back empty.