Question Wii not booting.

Ewhizz

Hi guys, i am submitting my wii portable for a school project in 2 days and my wii has stopped working. I had my wii omgwtf trim working but had to make it smaller again and sanded it and it is no longer working, if I want to test whether there are shorts between voltage lines what are typical resistance values between voltage lines which would suggest there are no shorts?
Thanks

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
What's that big coil of magnet wire on the underside? Also, that controller data wire joint looks terrible.

Ewhizz

The magnet wire is the cpiled up data lines for the controller they are long and messyly glued down

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
I think anything above 10 ohms is okay for voltage to ground, I forget the exact nominal resistances.

Ewhizz

The lowest value i got was 70 ohms and that was for the 1.15v line

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Probly not a voltage short then. Can you elaborate on "not working"? What specifically is the Wii not doing?

Last edited:

Ewhizz

Won't boot at all, no signal. Just tested it then same results this is the current wiring. I am using 12v through the red board so disregard the fact there are only two batteries

Nold

real emulation, no hardware
Staff member
2021 1st Place Winner
Portables
5 + 1*π
I don't think that anybody on here can help you at this point. The wiring is hard to see & there are a lot of variables included. Like this massive coil of magnetwire...

Did you measure the voltages, on the board while turned on? e.g. your ground connection in the top right corner of the first pic looks a little weak. You'll want to make sure your solder-joints are as clean as possible.
Did you check if the U10 is still working? etc. etc.

Seriously, I would take the whole thing apart again. Eliminating as much variables as possible.. i know that it sucks, but well.. this are the 15% of portablizing nobody likes ;)