Release Wii native VGA - version 1.5

Shank

Staff member
Portables
This is probably the biggest thing to happen to Wii portablizing since the WiFi module was patched out. It opens the door to the elusive 480p on nearly any screen size without an expensive and wiring-intensive GC-Video. Previously, the only way to get this resolution without GC Video is with an expensive eyoyo 5" screen or 7"+ screens. Thank you Aurelio for all your hard work. This patch is gonna make a lot of portables a lot better, and save a lot of members a lot of money.

Postman

Modspeed
The Postman
This is in no uncertain terms an astonishing feat of reverse engineering. Thank you Aurelio, you are bomb.

BocuD

Portables
Even though the solution appears simple, this is just amazing. I can't wait to use it in a portable!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
After some tests done by @Koksi_90 we found out that priiloader's installer didn't work on Wii without the MX chip. This should now be fixed in the build 1.1 now attached to the first post. If you had already installed the patches on a Wii this update is useless for you, since it affects only priiloader's installer, not priiloader itself.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Thank you so much @Aurelio, you are a really great person
i am now in the VGA master race
I think this mod should somehow be included in the trimming guide
I will work with @cheese to integrate it in cheese installer and then we will update the trimming guide :)

Kadano

At step 4, I get "IOS36 isn't ES_Identify patched : error -1017."

Are there some patching steps assumed to have been done that I'm not aware of?
The Wii that I've done the wiring on has only had the homebrew channel installed (through LetterBomb) and regular Priiloader (0.8) set up, no further hacks – it's only used for playing Melee through autoboot Nintendont.​

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
At step 4, I get "IOS36 isn't ES_Identify patched : error -1017."

Are there some patching steps assumed to have been done that I'm not aware of?
The Wii that I've done the wiring on has only had the homebrew channel installed (through LetterBomb) and regular Priiloader (0.8) set up, no further hacks – it's only used for playing Melee through autoboot Nintendont.​
Does the regular priiloader installer work without any issue?

Kadano

Does the regular priiloader installer work without any issue?
Yes, it does. I just opened it, did the "update" (which deleted the settings), but priiloader VGA still shows the exact same error message.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Install portablizemii, it will install all the needed IOSes, then run the VGA patches installer.

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
with this mod it'll possible to connect to a bigger variety of screens right? such as Pi VGA screen (they're cheaper than the usual recommendation from what I saw)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
with this mod it'll possible to connect to a bigger variety of screens right? such as Pi VGA screen (they're cheaper than the usual recommendation from what I saw)
Well definitely an higher range of screens is now supported, although I am not sure what screens you are talking about

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
Yeah this should work (definitely in 480p, hard to say if it supports interlaced video through VGA).
thank you for the clarification, I'm in the conception phase for my next project, I ran a search on the forum for clarification between those two mode, how it can affect the build, what to watch out for in parts and if you can force one mode or the other on the console. Is there more documentation on the subject I can read? (want to make sure i'm filled to the brim with knowledge before I drop some hard earned Canadian pesos on a screen)