Release Wii native VGA - version 1.5

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
thank you for the clarification, I'm in the conception phase for my next project, I ran a search on the forum for clarification between those two mode, how it can affect the build, what to watch out for in parts and if you can force one mode or the other on the console. Is there more documentation on the subject I can read? (want to make sure i'm filled to the brim with knowledge before I drop some hard earned Canadian pesos on a screen)
Nope, this is a fairly new patch and there is no documentation about it (plus I still have few things to figure out properly).

Kitsen

Portables
do tupper-stein count?
thank you for your time, I'll follow its progress with enthusiasm!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Massive props Aurelio! Taking the Component to VGA adapter out of the mix has helped my setup a lot, not to mention the image is now brighter and more vivid. You're a legend!

Nice to see more people using this hack :D

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Nice to see more people using this hack :D
Unfortunately I did kill a Wii when first trying to perform this (I bridged something somewhere) but aced it on the 2nd attempt. Lucky I have access to a pile of about 50 Wii's ;). I'm planning on integrating the VGA connection directly into the Wii's case to make it look as stock as possible. I'll post back here when completed.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Sorry for the double post but just to add: Now that we have a somewhat apples-to-apples comparison to other consoles that can output VGA (specifically the Dreamcast) is it possible to potentially clean up the Wii's video output even more?.

Comparing Resident Evil 2 running @480p on both Wii and DC and there is no competition, the Dreamcast's VGA output wins hands-down when it comes to overall brightness and sharpness.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Sorry for the double post but just to add: Now that we have a somewhat apples-to-apples comparison to other consoles that can output VGA (specifically the Dreamcast) is it possible to potentially clean up the Wii's video output even more?.

Comparing Resident Evil 2 running @480p on both Wii and DC and there is no competition, the Dreamcast's VGA output wins hands-down when it comes to overall brightness and sharpness.
Can you post comparison pics? There is some tuning that can be done, but it is not very straightforward, since the documentation is kinda poor.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Can you post comparison pics? There is some tuning that can be done, but it is not very straightforward, since the documentation is kinda poor.
I'll try my best, taking pictures on a CRT is a little tricky. Worst case I'll pull them up on an LCD.

Wesk

Undervolting....
Staff member
Here's a link:
The difference in clarity doesn't seem like much when comparing images but while in action there is a noticeable difference. It's almost like Nintendo couldn't let go of the N64 vaseline filter.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Here's a link:
The difference in clarity doesn't seem like much when comparing images but while in action there is a noticeable difference. It's almost like Nintendo couldn't let go of the N64 vaseline filter.
Uhm this might have something to do with the Wii internal video being YUV 4:2:2. I could try playing a bit with gamma settings, but I am not sure

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Ah, that would probably explain it. I actually wasn't aware that the lower colour-space could lead the softer overall graphics.
That's honestly just a guess, I am not sure at all :D

I just tried the VGA mod and it works :D Awesome work Aurelio!;)
IMG_2714.jpg

(On a 7" screen. Maybe there will be another portable B|)

One question: Do I have to keep something in mind when I want to play Wii games with this mod? My Zelda Twilight Princess won't show anything on screen... Gamecube and the emulators work fine though.

Last edited:

BocuD

Portables
View attachment 6470

One question: Do I have to keep something in mind when I want to play Wii games with this mod? My Zelda Twilight Princess won't show anything on screen... Gamecube and the emulators work fine though.
Connect your bluetooth module. I can see it on the table :P

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
View attachment 6470

Did game work before? Neek has a pretty bad USB compatibility, I don't know if that microSD to USB adapter works with that.

Connect your bluetooth module. I can see it on the table :P
That is from another Wii :D:D

Did game work before? Neek has a pretty bad USB compatibility, I don't know if that microSD to USB adapter works with that.
Yeah, that might be it. It worked before, but just over composite. Very poor quality on this big screen...
I ordered the 'one and only' Samsung fit stick today. They are pretty expensive here in germany though ._.
I had issues with black screens on the Swiitch, too. So maybe the Samsung stick might do the trick.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
That is from another Wii :D:D

Yeah, that might be it. It worked before, but just over composite. Very poor quality on this big screen...
I ordered the 'one and only' Samsung fit stick today. They are pretty expensive here in germany though ._.
I had issues with black screens on the Swiitch, too. So maybe the Samsung stick might do the trick.
Did you copy the sysconf file?