Release Wii native VGA - version 1.5

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
when you say install again, you mean, download the vga patch again and replace the archinos again on the flash drive running priiloader ??

Edit:
I downloaded the vga patch again, copied it to the flash drive and did the whole procedure again, I held the reset button, went to the "load / install" option and had the postloader installed again. Still when trying to open the postloader from portabilizemii, it simply restarts ... unfortunately ..

Edit:
I loaded the emu-nand with composite video, went into the screen settings, plugged the wii "Y" pin into the composite input of my screen, and turned the "mode" pin to "3.3v" with the card on (I know that's wrong) but it worked! I was able to select 480p from emu-nand and wii games now work! but I still need to run the post loader because I want to use your GC2Wiimote hack ... I still need to copy the file "SYSCONF" to emu-nand ... Is there another way if not for the post-loader?
Thanks!!!
Wait, portablizemii's main homebrew (the one that boots on startup) IS postLoader. So all that you have to do is go in the channel browser, press start and select the option to copy the SYSCONF file.

Wait, portablizemii's main homebrew (the one that boots on startup) IS postLoader. So all that you have to do is go in the channel browser, press start and select the option to copy the SYSCONF file.

Friend, I feel like an idiot ... I think due to the translator, I couldn't understand until now ... I spent all afternoon trying to fix something that didn't need fixing ... Worked perfectly! Thanks!

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Friend, I feel like an idiot ... I think due to the translator, I couldn't understand until now ... I spent all afternoon trying to fix something that didn't need fixing ... Worked perfectly! Thanks!
Glad you got it to work!

Thanks for the hard work, just wanted to ask tho, is there any other place we can pick up Hsync and Vsync than on the AVE chip ?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Thanks for the hard work, just wanted to ask tho, is there any other place we can pick up Hsync and Vsync than on the AVE chip ?
Sadly no, those pins on the AVE are the only spots, since they are not routed to anywhere on the PCB

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I have just updated the hack to version 1.5, now implementing the infamous 480p fix everyone talks about. Given the way the VGA patches work, this 480p fix is pretty much global :)
To install the update you have to replace all the files on your drive with the new ones and also repeat priiloader install (without this, the patches wouldn't be applied to the system menu and the homebrew channel). Finally, repeat steps 5 and 6 to install the new postloader build.

Which MODE pin is connected to 3.3v? Pin 8 or 10?

Im working on making a non invasive VGA cable out of a component cable and utilizing the unused data pins 14 15 and 16.
Ill put 3.3v on data pin 14,linked to the correct Mode pin and H V sync on 15 16.

This way I can have the Wii work where ever I take it.

Sorry If I come across as lazy asking, I just wanted to draw up what im doing before I open the Wii.
Feel free to ignore me as Ill probably beep it out in the next few minutes :)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Which MODE pin is connected to 3.3v? Pin 8 or 10?

Im working on making a non invasive VGA cable out of a component cable and utilizing the unused data pins 14 15 and 16.
Ill put 3.3v on data pin 14,linked to the correct Mode pin and H V sync on 15 16.

This way I can have the Wii work where ever I take it.

Sorry If I come across as lazy asking, I just wanted to draw up what im doing before I open the Wii.
Feel free to ignore me as Ill probably beep it out in the next few minutes :)
Look at the diagram. There's only one mode pin, pin 8. Pin 10 is actually 3.3V, so you don't need any extra pin to grab 3.3V, just short 8 and 10. There are some people who have used pins 15 and 16 for HV sync, but iirc you need to remove some resistors on the board that are usually connected there.

Hi I come to this thread trying to get VGA signal out of my Wii for a 640x480 LCD TV. I'm happy to mod to add a VGA port if that's recommended.

Or is a Mayflash cable would be the easiest option for VGA when my goal is not to portabilise?

How does the picture output quality compare between the Mayflash and this mod?

Thanks all.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Hi I come to this thread trying to get VGA signal out of my Wii for a 640x480 LCD TV. I'm happy to mod to add a VGA port if that's recommended.

Or is a Mayflash cable would be the easiest option for VGA when my goal is not to portabilise?

How does the picture output quality compare between the Mayflash and this mod?

Thanks all.
I have not tried the Mayflash adapter myself, but if I remember correctly it's not considered very good.

Finally got it done! Thank you! My game discs are trying to do a system update though. Can I safely use the Start Patch to bypass it?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Finally got it done! Thank you! My game discs are trying to do a system update though. Can I safely use the Start Patch to bypass it?
Yeah, it should be fine. Though, I don't see why you shouldn't be on the latest firmware version

Yeah, it should be fine. Though, I don't see why you shouldn't be on the latest firmware version
Okay, I’ve got it working now with the priiloader system hacks to skip disc update.

Now I’ve got this issue where my video signal drops when I enter any game.

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Okay, I’ve got it working now with the priiloader system hacks to skip disc update.

Now I’ve got this issue where my video signal drops when I enter any game.
Uhm right, when a disc game is loaded it reinitialize the AVE chip and disable VGA. I will have to think about a way to bypass it. The way this was meant to be used was by loading wbfs through portablizemii, I didn't really take into account disc games. I'll release an update when I will figure out how to do this cleanly

Just to clarify, I have a few questions:
You can do this either before or after you’ve trimmed your board?
Once you do this, composite will no longer work unless you disconnect MODE from 3.3v?
A VGA connector has 15 pins. I’m assuming we only have to worry about the R, G, B, GND, RGND, GGND, BGND, VSync, and HSync pins, and the rest we don’t have to worry about?

If I’ve gotten any of this wrong, please correct me.

Noah

retired
Portables
Just to clarify, I have a few questions:
You can do this either before or after you’ve trimmed your board?
Once you do this, composite will no longer work unless you disconnect MODE from 3.3v?
A VGA connector has 15 pins. I’m assuming we only have to worry about the R, G, B, GND, RGND, GGND, BGND, VSync, and HSync pins, and the rest we don’t have to worry about?

If I’ve gotten any of this wrong, please correct me.
Yeah. Before or after is fine, but definitely enable 480P before you install the mod.

Also correct, you need to disconnect mode from 3.3V. Once your portable is finished however, there is no reason to switch progressive off. I've had a portable with the VGA patches installed since before they came out and I can tell you that I've never had to switch back to composite.

The grounds are all common ground, so you just need to connect R, G, B, H-Sync and V-Sync and ground. Most people use 34 gauge magnet wire twisted with ground for the RGB lines and then another set for the H and V sync lines.

xsping

Hi, Aurelio, After vga patched and game testing,games like mini ninja USA version can not be loaded and stuck at the green screen, but i change to neek file data from original pm, the game can be loaded ,this issue exists in many games,I hope I can get some help from you