Release Wii native VGA - version 1.4

Discussion in 'Wii' started by Aurelio, May 27, 2018.

1. Aurelio The Fixer ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Staff Member . . . .

Portables:
    DISCLAIMER: The following patches are risky (just like any other hack basically). I am not going to be held responsible in case of bricks. Also the patches require soldering two wires to two AVE pins, so good soldering skills are required. Carefully follow all the steps and you will be fine.

For those who have not followed the discord server in the past couple of weeks, I found a way to get VGA out straight out of the Wii AVE without needing any additional hardware (except two wires lol). This was actually already found by marcan back in the early days of Wii hacking, but apparently was never made public.
    The following patches will let you get 480p/480i VGA video, depending on the game you are running.

These patches are not complete and will be upgraded in the future. Right now the system menu cannot be forced in VGA yet. The system menu is supported starting from version 1.3.

1) Make sure to have selected 480p video at least once in the system menu settings.
    2) Copy on your USB the files included in the attached archive. Replace files where needed.
    3) Use a composite cable for the following steps.
    4) Run the priiloader VGA installer and follow the on-screen steps. At the end of the installation it will boot back to the Homebrew Channel.
    5) Turn your Wii off and then turn it back on while holding the reset button. You will get in priiloader.
    6) Go in the "Load/Install" file menu. Select postLoader and press A. Wait until it is done.
    7) Go in the "Settings" menu and select "Installed file" for the "Autoboot" option. Select save settings.
    8) Turn off your Wii.
    9) Use the R, G, B signals specified in the trimming guide: https://bitbuilt.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-definitive-wii-trimming-guide.198/
    10) H-Sync and V-Sync are respectively on pins 33 and 34 of the AVE, as shown in the picture below (sorry for the crappy quality lol). AWG38 magnet wire is strongly recommended.
    av_encoder.png
    11) Finally, you will need to wire 3.3V to the Mode pin. That way the code will force VGA and progressive video (if previously enabled and supported by the game). Without connecting the Mode pin to 3.3V the video will be in composite.

For any question you can ask here :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018 at 8:53 AM
    Predue89, Kadano, ghostavel and 16 others like this.
  2. Koksi_90 .

Portables:
    Thank you for your hard work

Aurelio likes this.
  3. Shank Certified Wiitard Staff Member . .

Portables:
    This is probably the biggest thing to happen to Wii portablizing since the WiFi module was patched out. It opens the door to the elusive 480p on nearly any screen size without an expensive and wiring-intensive GC-Video. Previously, the only way to get this resolution without GC Video is with an expensive eyoyo 5" screen or 7"+ screens. Thank you Aurelio for all your hard work. This patch is gonna make a lot of portables a lot better, and save a lot of members a lot of money.

Pacal, Aurelio, mknrls and 4 others like this.
  4. Stitches 2 and a Half Dollarydoos Staff Member . .

Portables:
    Calling it now, we're in the Wii portablising Golden Age. All praise to the Pizza Lord!

5. Spencer Richardson .

Aurelio FTW! Soo... anyone know of a reasonably priced 3.5 inch vga screen?? ;)

Aurelio likes this.
  6. Postman .

This is in no uncertain terms an astonishing feat of reverse engineering. Thank you Aurelio, you are bomb.

Aurelio likes this.
  7. BocuD .

Portables:
    Even though the solution appears simple, this is just amazing. I can't wait to use it in a portable!

8. Bakuku .

Portables:
    Amazing work by Lord Pizza!
    Keep up the good Work!

[​IMG]

9. Aurelio The Fixer ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Staff Member . . . .

Portables:
    After some tests done by @Koksi_90 we found out that priiloader's installer didn't work on Wii without the MX chip. This should now be fixed in the build 1.1 now attached to the first post. If you had already installed the patches on a Wii this update is useless for you, since it affects only priiloader's installer, not priiloader itself.

Stitches, BocuD, Shank and 1 other person like this.
  10. Koksi_90 .

Portables:
    Thank you so much @Aurelio, you are a really great person
    i am now in the VGA master race
    I think this mod should somehow be included in the trimming guide

11. Aurelio The Fixer ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Staff Member . . . .

Portables:
    I will work with @cheese to integrate it in cheese installer and then we will update the trimming guide :)

12. Kadano .

At step 4, I get "IOS36 isn't ES_Identify patched : error -1017."

Are there some patching steps assumed to have been done that I'm not aware of?
    The Wii that I've done the wiring on has only had the homebrew channel installed (through LetterBomb) and regular Priiloader (0.8) set up, no further hacks – it's only used for playing Melee through autoboot Nintendont.​

13. Aurelio The Fixer ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Staff Member . . . .

Portables:
    Does the regular priiloader installer work without any issue?

14. Kadano .

Yes, it does. I just opened it, did the "update" (which deleted the settings), but priiloader VGA still shows the exact same error message.

15. Aurelio The Fixer ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Staff Member . . . .

Portables:
    Install portablizemii, it will install all the needed IOSes, then run the VGA patches installer.

16. Kitsen .

Portables:
    do tupper-stein count?
    with this mod it'll possible to connect to a bigger variety of screens right? such as Pi VGA screen (they're cheaper than the usual recommendation from what I saw)

17. Aurelio The Fixer ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Staff Member . . . .

Portables:
    Well definitely an higher range of screens is now supported, although I am not sure what screens you are talking about

18. Kitsen .

Portables:
    do tupper-stein count?
    something like this for example

19. Aurelio The Fixer ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ Staff Member . . . .

Portables:
    Yeah this should work (definitely in 480p, hard to say if it supports interlaced video through VGA).

Kitsen likes this.
  20. Kitsen .

Portables:
    do tupper-stein count?
    thank you for the clarification, I'm in the conception phase for my next project, I ran a search on the forum for clarification between those two mode, how it can affect the build, what to watch out for in parts and if you can force one mode or the other on the console. Is there more documentation on the subject I can read? (want to make sure i'm filled to the brim with knowledge before I drop some hard earned Canadian pesos on a screen)