Question Wii/N64 combo console questions

Hi guys, I'm brand new here and new to the scene. I'm interested in building a Wii/N64 combination console with a shared power supply and common video out for my first project. My skill set is pretty low and I have a very limited understanding of circuits (I'm in physics II right now) so forgive any stupid questions.

I'm thinking I can use the Wii power supply to power the entire console and internalize the voltage regulater for the N64 and build it off the 12V rail of the Wii power supply.

Is this possible or am I retarded?

Any other tips/recommendations/methods/considerations for combining these two consoles?

Hi! Welcome to BitBuilt.

What you are suggesting is absolutely possible, but you might consider another route for the sake of simplicity and robustness.

Drumroll please....

Wii's will run N64 games.
Unless you have some particular attachment to using native hardware, you might want to consider this route. That way, power and video sharing and routing is a non-issue.

Happy hacking!

Hi! Welcome to BitBuilt.

What you are suggesting is absolutely possible, but you might consider another route for the sake of simplicity and robustness.

Drumroll please....

Wii's will run N64 games.
Unless you have some particular attachment to using native hardware, you might want to consider this route. That way, power and video sharing and routing is a non-issue.

Happy hacking!
Glad to hear it's possible!
My Wii is already softmodded and I've played around with emulators but they're severely lacking.

I do actually want to use the native hardware. I thinking having what is essentially a Wii with an N64 cartridge slot would fulfill most of my Nintendo nostalgia needs.

The fact that it's more complicated doesn't deter me all. I intend for this to be a learning experience.

Last edited:
About to reveal my naivety here.

So concerning the power supply:

So would it be possible to take the 12V rail coming off the Wii PSU and add a voltage regulator to drop it to the 3.3V 2.7A that the N64 needs and then send that to the right places?

Also the Wii needs 12V 3.7A but the N64 needs 12V 0.8A. How do I go about dropping the amperage while maintaining the voltage, or do I just drop the voltage along with the amperage?

Also the Wii needs 12V 3.7A but the N64 needs 12V 0.8A. How do I go about dropping the amperage while maintaining the voltage, or do I just drop the voltage along with the amperage?
Each console will only draw as much current as it needs. Any power supply providing more than 0.8A at 12v will sufficiently power your N64. No "amperage" drop required!

Each console will only draw as much current as it needs. Any power supply providing more than 0.8A at 12v will sufficiently power your N64. No "amperage" drop required!
Excellent news. Thanks a ton. These are the things I'm here to learn lol

Would this work to create a 3.3V line for the N64?

Last edited:

jefflongo

Broke BitBuilt
Staff member
Portables
Excellent news. Thanks a ton. These are the things I'm here to learn lol

Would this work to create a 3.3V line for the N64?
Pretty much the only regulators used around here are the PTH08080W. Linear regulators waste a lot of power (and thus they get very hot) at the current required to run a console. I suggest you read through the custom regulator guide on this site.

this project certainly is feasible but there are a few things you need to consider:

- How are you going to handle controllers? Are you going to use the same set of buttons for both consoles? The control schemes are very different.
- Handling heat may prove to be difficult. You're going to have to have two different thermal setups which do not get in the way of each other. This may result in having a very large case.
- You will need to figure out a way to have your "switch" between the two consoles handle power to the consoles as well as switching controllers, and audio/video inputs.

Again this is possible but you're going to have to put some serious thought into this.

Pretty much the only regulators used around here are the PTH08080W. Linear regulators waste a lot of power (and thus they get very hot) at the current required to run a console. I suggest you read through the custom regulator guide on this site.
Ok awesome I'll take a look at that guide.

- How are you going to handle controllers? Are you going to use the same set of buttons for both consoles? The control schemes are very different.
For the controllers I plan to just route all 8 inputs to the outside of the console. I'm definitely not ready to bite into custom controllers yet.

- Handling heat may prove to be difficult. You're going to have to have two different thermal setups which do not get in the way of each other. This may result in having a very large case.
Eh no worries. I'm fine with a larger case if I need to. I plan to have multiple evolutions of the case as I acquire a 3D printer, CNC, laser cutter etc. No telling what the final form of this monster will be.

- You will need to figure out a way to have your "switch" between the two consoles handle power to the consoles as well as switching controllers, and audio/video inputs.
For the AV I plan to have an internal A/V switcher that I planned to route a control to the front of the case for. So you're saying the power circuits will have to have a switch between them as well?

I'm working on a PCB to divert the Wii PSU into all the lines/voltages I'll need to power both consoles, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what power lines an untrimmed Wii will need and where they'll be soldered. Any guidance here?

Last edited:

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
I'm working on a PCB to divert the Wii PSU into all the lines/voltages I'll need to power both consoles, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what power lines an untrimmed Wii will need and where they'll be soldered. Any guidance here?
Are you planning on trimming the motherboards? You didn't mention it anywhere so I assume you're not. If you aren't trimming your motherboards and you aren't trying to power it with batteries, there's really no point in diving into custom regulators. All you would really need is a way to switch the 12v Wii power supply between powering the N64 and powering the Wii in order to sufficiently power each console.

Are you planning on trimming the motherboards? You didn't mention it anywhere so I assume you're not. If you aren't trimming your motherboards and you aren't trying to power it with batteries, there's really no point in diving into custom regulators. All you would really need is a way to switch the 12v Wii power supply between powering the N64 and powering the Wii in order to sufficiently power each console.
I don't have any absolute plans to trim the motherboards, but I may consider trimming at lease the N64 once I get to the case building stage.

So I would need to build a switch for switching power between each console? I was really hoping I could just wire them both up and the console turned on would draw power. Any idea what it might take to build a single switch that would simultaneously divert power to the correct console AND switch the A/V output?

BocuD

Portables
I don't have any absolute plans to trim the motherboards, but I may consider trimming at lease the N64 once I get to the case building stage.

So I would need to build a switch for switching power between each console? I was really hoping I could just wire them both up and the console turned on would draw power. Any idea what it might take to build a single switch that would simultaneously divert power to the correct console AND switch the A/V output?
Any 4P2T switch would probably be sufficient. The idea is that you wire all gnd pins together, then wire av and for example 12v to the center pins, then wire the outer pins to the corresponding pins on the n64 and wii.
Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 21.34.49.png

This is how you could wire it up.
The switch switches in a way so that at any moment only the wii or n64 pins are connected to the center pins.

Luke

Portables
You still need a 3.3v reg for the n64; the n46 needs 3.3v and 12v, which are both normally supplied by the n64 power supply (there's no onboard 3.3v reg or anything).

Any 4P2T switch would probably be sufficient. The idea is that you wire all gnd pins together, then wire av and for example 12v to the center pins, then wire the outer pins to the corresponding pins on the n64 and wii.
View attachment 5782
This is how you could wire it up.
The switch switches in a way so that at any moment only the wii or n64 pins are connected to the center pins.
Hey this is perfect! Any idea what I should do with the grounds from either console? Would it be safe to wire them both to the ground from the PSU without a switch between them

Another question: How would I go about wiring up a single power button for both consoles that powers on the correct console depending on the selector switch?

Nice working on similar project but somewhat of different approach. Can't wait to see your progress
Awesome I'll keep an eye out for yours as well! I'm sure it'll progress much fast than mine as I'm still hashing out a lot of basic concepts lol

Last edited by a moderator:

mknrls

Awesome I'll keep an eye out for yours as well! I'm sure it'll progress much fast than mine as I'm still hashing out a lot of basic concepts lol
Thx mate. im kinda in the same boat to tell you the truth, just been doing research and learning at the same time.