Worklog Wii motherboard interface PCB / WII Portable (still unnamed)

I would be worried about cooling with how your batteries are spaced. The way you have that laid out, there is absolutely no airflow. You need to make a proper path for the air to flow to keep your wii cool. The last thing you would want is to complete your wii portable and have your wii die from overheating. Try making a path for air to flow in and out of your case through the fan and heatsink. Sorry to mess with your design, but this is important.

This makes me want to switch to Eagle from Kicad just for the import Eagle pcbs into Fusion 360 :o

ruumoo

I would be worried about cooling with how your batteries are spaced. The way you have that laid out, there is absolutely no airflow. You need to make a proper path for the air to flow to keep your wii cool. The last thing you would want is to complete your wii portable and have your wii die from overheating. Try making a path for air to flow in and out of your case through the fan and heatsink. Sorry to mess with your design, but this is important.
Oh yeah sure, i just threw this together as a mockup. I will definitly change the cooling layout

ruumoo

This makes me want to switch to Eagle from Kicad just for the import Eagle pcbs into Fusion 360 :o
The feature is so awesome. You don't even have toanually import them, you can directly push a change from eagle to fusion and the file gets updated automatically

ruumoo

I know it looks a bit weird with the large radius corners on the top and the small radii on the bottom, but the ergonomics are way better this way.
everything is pretty much in it's final position.
the shell is just a crude mockup, but it's movin in the right direction.
I'm really happy with getting all 3 GC ports, the volume wheel, headphone jack and usb port on the bottom edge.

I know the cooler situation is a bit dodgy, I'm looking for a better (flatter) solution
Please feel free to give some feedback

ruumoo

A fan like this may help, as you can shorten the fins a touch and still have adequate cooling. You'll probably want to have it blow out the top if possible, since heat rises.
I have thought about swiching to a blower fan, but it would be very nice, of I could manage to use the noctua fan, as they are extremely quiet while being very efficient. Alsp it has built in pwm fan controle, which I plan to use as part of a full fledged temperature dependent speed controller.
I will try to see if I can fit it at an angle in the top/bottom to blow down a duct through a longer, flatter heatsink

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I have thought about swiching to a blower fan, but it would be very nice, of I could manage to use the noctua fan, as they are extremely quiet while being very efficient. Alsp it has built in pwm fan controle, which I plan to use as part of a full fledged temperature dependent speed controller.
I will try to see if I can fit it at an angle in the top/bottom to blow down a duct through a longer, flatter heatsink
If the fan you end up using doesn't have a pwm input you can always do that externally

ruumoo

It's the same thing. I did it with an external MOSFET in PowerMii, mostly to ensure compatibility with all the fans
I'm currently 3d printing a fan duct for the Noctua fan, i will post the test results later

Looking very impressive :)
I just wanted to ask why you chose to work with 18650 batteries and not with some li-po ones that are slimmer?

ruumoo

Looking very impressive :)
I just wanted to ask why you chose to work with 18650 batteries and not with some li-po ones that are slimmer?
Mainly because I have them lying around and good quality batteries arent the cheapest thing to buy. Aswell as thath, I can mold grips around them on the back, making for better ergonomics

ruumoo

The Feature List is basically in it's final form:

-Full analog Sticks (no sliders)
-analog triggers
-built in sensor bar
-bluetooth for wiimotes
-3 gamecube controller ports
-built in speakers
-headphone out
-component video out
-usb-c charging

I have already fitted all the components into the last design, I posted a picture of. Now I'm onto choosing the exact parts, I'm gonna be using and creating all the libraries for the pcb layout. After the trace layout is done, I am ready to order all the parts

Last edited:

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
The Feature List is basically in it's final form:

-Full analog Sticks (no sliders)
-analog triggers
-built in sensor bar
-bluetooth for wiimotes
-3 gamecube controller ports
-built in speakers
-headphone out
-component video out
-usb-c charging

I have already fitted all the components into the last design, I posted a picture of. Now I'm onto choosing the exact parts, I'm gonna be using and creating all the libraries for the pcb layout. After the trace layout is done, I am ready to order all the parts
Are you using full PD handling for the USB C or are you going to be using 5V only?

ruumoo

Are you using full PD handling for the USB C or are you going to be using 5V only?
Full PD handling. If I would just wanted 5V, I could just use a micro-b port.
I'm using a STUSB4500 usb-c PD controller from ST. I's great, because it's just doing PD handling and nothing else, so the circuit is very simple

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
Full PD handling. If I would just wanted 5V, I could just use a micro-b port.
I'm using a STUSB4500 usb-c PD controller from ST. I's great, because it's just doing PD handling and nothing else, so the circuit is very simple
Looks like a neat part, definitely simpler to use than the one I used for my portable.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
salve Ma è possibile comprarla ??fammisapere grazie
This is a private user's project, so it's not available for sale. Also this thread is over 4 years old, please don't necro old threads