Question wii mini Second usb Port mod ?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
If you take a look at this picture (Just a link, not a download don't worry) you'll see that there are two pairs of USB connections, this is because the Wii, out of the box, has two USB ports. To answer you're question directly, yes it's very much an option, in fact, you can take the USB ports on the Wii and use them for the portable! https://photos.app.goo.gl/B5baGfVrENspHK1r9
Listen here shithead, don't be snarky. He's asking about the actual first party Nintendo Wii Mini, which has a very different board layout.

To (not) answer the question, I dunno. The Wii Mini only has one physical port soldered in, so unless there are unused pads/traces to allow for a second port, you're stuck with one. Some people here have experimented with Minis in the past, can't remember who though. If you have one available could you take some photos of both sides of the board so we can see?

Ceirt

Hi there, sorry to bump this but...

i have a wii mini with bluebomb and... i have the same question as xfx9500 (because i want to use a "y cable").

so... here are the photos :D.

Thanks!.

Attachments

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Hi there, sorry to bump this but...

i have a wii mini with bluebomb and... i have the same question as xfx9500 (because i want to use a "y cable").

so... here are the photos :D.

Thanks!.
Looks like there's only one set of traces and filters on the board. Maybe you could try matching the Mini's BGA vias to the regular Wii's and see if the second set of data lines will work, but you'd be at significant risk of frying the die. What do you need a Y cable for? If it's just extra power you need, you can use a USB phone charger with a USB type A extension cable.

Last edited:

Ceirt

Looks like there's only one set of traces and filters on the board. Maybe you could try matching the Mini's BGA vias to the regular Wii's and see if the second set of data lines will work, but you'd be at significant risk of frying the die. What do you need a Y cable for? If it's just extra power you need you can use a USB phone charger with a USB type A extension cable.
yeah, its just extra power... i dont think frying the mini is worth the extra power usb xD

so... i will go with the usb charger. anyways, thanks for the help. :D