Worklog Wii Micro build

Been researching and collecting for a wii portable for a while now and in the process I acquired several 6 layer Wiis so i figured why not put them to use so here we go.
20220225_125926.jpg

20220225_125946.jpg

Top case printed well finally, I had to spend a few days troubleshooting my flashforge creator pro, till now never printed anything substantial with it so I didn't notice the Y axis was out of square causing fitment issues once that was handled it printed out very nice.
20220225_125937.jpg

The wii trim still want to do some cleanup on it but I think it should be fine in the end
20220225_130036.jpg
20220225_130054.jpg

Ive printed the remaining parts needed for the build. And am waiting for a few things to arrive to finish the power side of everything before i start wiring and all.
20220225_130131.jpg

I look forward to hearing everyones input and hope that you all feel free to comment on anything that could be done better or differently throughout the build.

20220225_130036.jpg

So after reading through the wii trim guides for the millionth time the 6 layer expansion calls for a wire to connect these spots together for 1.8 v but im showing continuity to these two if thats the case why add the wire unless its a simple case of a bridged area in my trim that needs more attention? I know ill mess up things along the way but if i can help it id prefer not to fry a wii unnecessarily lol any thoughts.

Last edited:
20220227_220413.jpg

Added the 1.8v wire anyway hopefully its all fine not really used to the wii mobo ins and outs yet so we will see also did the U10 relocation while I had a minute.
20220227_220428.jpg

The black enamel magnet wire is the GC data lines i verified they weren't making contact with each other and straightened them up some still waiting for caps and resistors to arrive so i can wire power and attempt to boot.

20220305_190356.jpg

Voltage regs wired up the 1.15 line reads at a 1.25 output going to redo the resistor series and get it right before final assembly
20220305_190426.jpg

Checked the boards resistances and came up with the following

RED 3.3v = 8.41k ohms
TEAL 1.15v = 42.4 ohms
BLUE 1.8v = 29 ohms
YELLOW 1v = 6.8 ohms

Wired all voltages to corresponding colors and ground between board and regs plugged in av and fan and no boot fan didn't spin and voltage readings were all over during attempting to power the board ive gone back and sanded and cleaned even more removed the u10 cleaned up the severed trace even more rewired u10 still no boot any ideas at this point would be awesome rvloader is installed no wifi ect.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Did you confirm that the board was booting correctly without wifi and BT before you trimmed it?

20220305_205020.jpg

I shortened all the power wires and have verified correct voltages but still no boot/screen image of any kind the main chip does start to get warm so something is happening but no fan and no image on screen checked u10 and verified i was getting 3.3 to the wire is there something obvious im missing??

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
View attachment 21539
I shortened all the power wires and have verified correct voltages but still no boot/screen image of any kind the main chip does start to get warm so something is happening but no fan and no image on screen checked u10 and verified i was getting 3.3 to the wire is there something obvious im missing??
Are you using 22AWG wire for all power and ground connections?

I believe its 20 awg tbh the trim guide claims 26 is acceptable for power higher number means smaller awg correct?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Smaller number = thicker wire. We used to think 26 was good enough, but over the years we've seen many issues with 26AWG wire causing intermittent issues, so now we say use 22AWG.

So today I rewired the voltage regs using 22awg and hooked everything up and it booted once..... YAY!! I unplugged it to verify consistent boot and nothing....... verified all the Voltages and now the 3.3v reg doesn't supply Voltage when connected to the wii but will supply Voltage if its powered and not connected to the wii? Strange not sure what the deal is double checked it all and confirmed that is the issue no idea what to do from here... getting slightly tired of looking at this mobo lately lol

It appears my voltage regs are fine. Ive got no resistance on 3.3v on my wii mobo sanded the edges scowered the board for any possible shorts or bridges and still no resistance, afraid I may have ruined this one unless someone has an idea of what maybe wrong. Otherwise I suppose ill need to get my hands on another 6layer and try again....... :|:facepalm:

Well I gave up on the mobo no idea what i did or why its not working i decided to redo the whole deal and test and double test at every available point and....
20220312_181650.jpg

I tore apart and trimmed another 6 layer today testing everything multiple times as i went U10 to U5 , removing gc mem card ports everything and after a bit of wire clean up and double checking ive got a successful trim for my wii micro.... now onto mx bluetooth and clock battery wiring

So today i decided to run the wii mobo for awhile and make sure that everything was going to run well...... and now ive got a new problem....btw im LOVING THE WII.... so before i get into it the wii booted fine over a dozen times i had the heatsink and fan on and working i decided to let the wii run in this state just to see if any issues pop up and then the board shut off.. bow i have no boot at all and no resistance on the 3.3v spot on the board so i ask all the capable and smart folks here WTH lol

20220324_125407.jpg

Well board number 2 did the same thing as the first so i tried once more except this time I trimmed the board a bit different leaving more on the 3.3 side and it seems i have been successful. Wired Bluetooth and mx and all appears ok.

Now my issue seems to be with the wavebird im using it registers and selects a game yet after the game loads its like it gets unplugged and wont work for instance i checked the button check on rvloader and all functions properly but in the opening of wind waker i cant press start to load into the game?

Is this something to do with mx possibly i swear I saw someone say something about mx and wavebird idk getting very close now just a few small issues and its done