Question Wii little cooling fans

kennsj

Hi. First time posting. Currently working on a not-too-ambitious first build, and will post about that separately once it's further underway.

Right now though, I have a simple (noobish?) question that I couldn't find an answer to through the search function.

The cooling fan on the Wii didn't appear to be running at all when plugged into its standard points on the mainboard, so I've got a (much thinner) fan hooked straight to 5V instead. My question is:
Does the Wii only run the fan when it senses the CPU getting too hot?

If so, I'll just hook my fan to the standard fan point and trust the Wii to know when it's getting warm; that'd save on power consumption.

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Nah, the fan always runs. There's no speed control for it, it's always at full speed. The Wii needs always active cooling.

kennsj

Nah, the fan always runs. There's no speed control for it, it's always at full speed. The Wii needs always active cooling.
Okay, cool (no pun intended). Thanks for the quick response!

Maybe there's just something wrong with the fan points, then. nvm

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
Follow-up question. Should the fan suck or blow?
Yes, both. One side each. I assume you're asking whether the fan should be blowing air directly onto the heatsink, or pulling it away. From the pictures you've shown in your other post, the fan should be sucking air from the heatsink and blowing it out the back of the case. You also need some holes somewhere else for the negative pressure to pull new air into the case for the fan to blow out. I don't see any intake holes in the pictures.