Question Wii joysticks & GC + compatibility

Ewhizz

Hi guy,
Wondering if anyone is aware if joysticks such as these would work with the GC + board (I ask as I understand it is mainly for 3ds sliders but am looking to try something different when it comes to joysticks, trying to achieve the switch joysticks feel.)
Joysticks id look into trying:
- Wii classic controller
OR
- https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/cts-electrocomponents/254SA103B50B/254SA103B50B-ND/1755920

Also happy for any other joystick option recommendations,
Thanks
Elliot

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
The GC+ isn't "mainly for 3DS sliders", it was designed for ALL non-stock joysticks. The sliders just so happen to be one of the best and easiest options for stick controls. The Digikey mini sticks will work fine, Gman used them in one of his recent PS2 portables. They're a tad expensive, but they're quite good. You'll just have to calibrate them in the controller config app like any other stick, and there aren't any caps available for them that I know of (unless you buy a MOGA Hero Power or 8Bitdo controller that uses those sticks and harvest them from there).

GingerOfOz

no wario
Staff member
2020 2nd Place Winner
2022 3rd Place Winner
Portables
just so many i am so cool
Generally the reason we use sliders is be use they are so compact and can be built into just about any design. We are currently looking into ways to get small joysticks working. Nintendo Switch Joycon sticks just became super cheap on eBay, but the downside is that they're carbon traces, so they can't be soldered to directly. I've got some breakout boards for a connector that can fit the sticks on the way, as well as a pinout for the joystick, so once I get them working I'll be sure to make a post about it.

Ewhizz

Generally the reason we use sliders is be use they are so compact and can be built into just about any design. We are currently looking into ways to get small joysticks working. Nintendo Switch Joycon sticks just became super cheap on eBay, but the downside is that they're carbon traces, so they can't be soldered to directly. I've got some breakout boards for a connector that can fit the sticks on the way, as well as a pinout for the joystick, so once I get them working I'll be sure to make a post about it.
Thanks GingerOfOz! That would be awesome very keen to hear how you get on with this!