Question Wii Internal HDD/SSD Mod

Hi,
I'm planning/want to put an internal SSD or HDD inside my Wii in place of the disc drive, however I've been reading online that the Wii titles won't boot unless the disc drive is connected.. is there a way around this? Looking at RVLoader, it seems to support Wii Titles but I'm not planning on making a portable I just plan to (hardware)mod my wii

Viilmo

Portables
You don't need to install RVLoader in order to use it. You can use it as a normal homebrew app. Just press no when it asks you to install.

But then I have to launch everything through rvloader still.. my wii is currently setup with wiiflow to autoboot on system startup and manually launching Rvloader everytime I want to play a Wii game would be a pain

Last edited:

Viilmo

Portables
You can install it then so it autoboots into RVLoader. You can still use the Wii Menu after that. Last thing i can think of is getting a modified version of wiiflow IF it exists.

CrazyGadget

Crazy Helpful, CrazyGadget
Portables
???
You don't have to be making a portable to use RVLoader; in fact, I use it on pretty much all of my Wiis since it handles all of the cIOSs and priiloader and whatnot in one fell swoop. Once RVLoader is installed, you can yeet the disc drive and still play all your Wii / GC games just fine. When installing RVLoader, it will set priiloader to autoboot to RVLoader. You can always change the autoboot setting to go back to Wiiflow, but I'm not sure if the Wii games will work through Wiiflow, given they're not running through Hiidra.

Have you taken an in-depth look at RVLoader's UI? It's very user friendly, you have easy access to all of your Wii games, GC games, homebrew, Wiiware, Wii home menu, etc. It's really the most convenient thing out there!

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
You could also just remove the daughterboard from the disk drive assembly, leave it connected to the Wii and not need to change your software. The flat little PCB in the disk drive is all the Wii cares about, so you can cut the wires to the motors and the diode, unscrew the CB from the big metal cage, put on a layer of kapton tape and stack an SSD on top of it

You don't have to be making a portable to use RVLoader; in fact, I use it on pretty much all of my Wiis since it handles all of the cIOSs and priiloader and whatnot in one fell swoop. Once RVLoader is installed, you can yeet the disc drive and still play all your Wii / GC games just fine. When installing RVLoader, it will set priiloader to autoboot to RVLoader. You can always change the autoboot setting to go back to Wiiflow, but I'm not sure if the Wii games will work through Wiiflow, given they're not running through Hiidra.

Have you taken an in-depth look at RVLoader's UI? It's very user friendly, you have easy access to all of your Wii games, GC games, homebrew, Wiiware, Wii home menu, etc. It's really the most convenient thing out there!
I did actually try RVLoader but when I try return to the homescreen/"Wii Menu" from any software/games it just freezes the Wii on a black screen

You could also just remove the daughterboard from the disk drive assembly, leave it connected to the Wii and not need to change your software. The flat little PCB in the disk drive is all the Wii cares about, so you can cut the wires to the motors and the diode, unscrew the CB from the big metal cage, put on a layer of kapton tape and stack an SSD on top of it
Okay, thank you I'll look into this :)
Based on the other comments I feel I should probably just try fix my specific RVLoader Issue first but at least I have a fallback now