Wii/GC dev kits and/or homebrew programming utilities

Hiya everyone. It's been awhile since I was on here last.
Anyway, I'm looking for any information on coding for the wii or for the gamecube. I want to be able to make custom software for the portable I'm working on, but I don't know where to start.

I already have 4 years in C++ (2 in C#/unity) and I'm in an assembly class this semester. I don't think learning a new language would be that difficult for me, but I don't know where to begin. Any pointers?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
none of the smashboard threads I read mentioned any of those. Thanks so much Aurelio <3
No problem! On their github/sourceforge there are also “wii-examples”. They are a good start. Let me know if you need help setting things up. If you sre on windows you can use the “devkitproInstaller” that takes care of everything.

I'm going the windows route yes, but I'm more familiar with linux GNU systems. I didnt want to pay for the unity license and go through nintendo just to try developing for an older system. I wanna try my hand at things so I can experiment before I have to decide on a final project for my degree~
I'm installing it now.

cheese

the tallest memer in town
Staff member
If your program ever crashes you'll have to read through the DSI error, it won't give you a line of code or anything... Basically, open the map file in the build folder of the project and look for an address around where it crashed to see what function it crashed in.

Also if you want a quick start, just copy one of the example projects and change the source. The makefile they include will automagically build anything in the source folder for you, and the name of the dol will change based on the name of the folder it's built in.

You'll probably also want to set up wiiload so you can quickly test DOLs without grabbing a drive, plugging in, copying, etc...

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
If your program ever crashes you'll have to read through the DSI error, it won't give you a line of code or anything... Basically, open the map file in the build folder of the project and look for an address around where it crashed to see what function it crashed in.

Also if you want a quick start, just copy one of the example projects and change the source. The makefile they include will automagically build anything in the source folder for you, and the name of the dol will change based on the name of the folder it's built in.

You'll probably also want to set up wiiload so you can quickly test DOLs without grabbing a drive, plugging in, copying, etc...
Just write good code, unlike cheese does :P

I've never used this programmer's notepad and it's extension. Opening the PNPROJ files in notepad gives me some markup text. but i dont get that info when i open it in the Programmer's Notepad app. Is that markup text required?

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
No, the pnproj is useless unless you use Programmer’s notepad. You only need the source folder and the Makefile basically

I found a tutorial (http://www.codemii.com/category/wii-programming-tutorials/) and am starting to read through it. I feel like I should at least try to answer my questions myself before I ask here.

Anyway my main concerns at this point are:
1.) can I use Visual Studios to code and compile?
2.) Will I find out how to run the examples on Dolphin at any point?
3.) is there a better program to test the examples with than Dolphin?

cheese

Staff member
1. You can write the code in VS, but you can't compile it in there unless you can get it to run a script to compile (just run the makefile to build it).
2. Dolphin should have a load button which you can directly run DOL files.
3. Either Dolphin or on an actual Wii are the only solutions I'm aware of...

y'all got any tutorial links to dump on me so i can save myself some googling? ;)
I mainly used the tutorial two and three on the site you linked, and just guessed until it worked from there...

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
I found a tutorial (http://www.codemii.com/category/wii-programming-tutorials/) and am starting to read through it. I feel like I should at least try to answer my questions myself before I ask here.

Anyway my main concerns at this point are:
y'all got any tutorial links to dump on me so i can save myself some googling? ;)
You can probably set visual studio to run a “make clean all” in the project folder, but I don’t really use it, so idk.
You can open and run the elf or the dol files directly in Dolphin.

Also I would suggest you to read through libogc documentation. There are no good tutorials out there

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
@Aurelio, you piqued my interest: what about custom IOS modules?
That's way too long to explain. I had to do a lot of research and some reverse engineering to understand how that stuff work (since there is not much information online). I'm sorry, but I'm not going to share what I have on them

cheese

Staff member
cIOS is quite the rabbit hole of things that can (usually) be accomplished with other means in (usually) far less potentially destructive means... That's the main reason the Homebrew Channel flips when you install one, it's usually far better to patch IOS on the fly (which is a whole other rabbit hole)

Aurelio

ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Staff member
Portables
cIOS is quite the rabbit hole of things that can (usually) be accomplished with other means in (usually) far less potentially destructive means... That's the main reason the Homebrew Channel flips when you install one, it's usually far better to patch IOS on the fly (which is a whole other rabbit hole)
Yeah I’m not trying to be a dick or whatever. Digging for info on IOSes and fully understanding how they work it’s crucial for developing IOS modules that won’t cause issues on Wiis.

Yeah I’m not trying to be a dick or whatever.
Not at all! I have immense respect for you and your work, and was just wondering if there were any standard utilities or jumping-off points for cios development. It's completely your right not to share that information, especially with it being as complicated and poorly-documented as you describe.