Question Wii freeze with weird buzzing

Hi,
My wii is freezing with weirg buzzing.
Usually it is happening when begining playing on SSX but sometimes at other times.
It is maybe memory related. I used a circuit to connect the USB to the wii and micro USB and is maybe not perfect.

Best,
Emetsys

I could give you a Pic of a frozen screen but I don't think it would be useful.

Last edited:
Now it sometimes freeze even in the post loader when starting the device.
I tried to resolder a USB port directly without using the board for micro USB and the behavor stays the same.
Here are some pictures.
20191027_173000.jpg 20191027_172606.jpg 20191103_120709.jpg 20200105_131829.jpg
For now it is in the case so I cannot do a recent picture for now but it's the same as these old ones.
Edut: the data line length is approximately 3cm.

Last edited:

Shank

Staff member
Portables
In your second photo you are running power to the flash drive using magnet wire. Use thicker wire for power. In fact, I see quite a few magnet wires running to voltage rails, especially 3.3v.

So what's goin on with the magnet wire here?
Screenshot_20200105-154219_Chrome.jpg

Check the voltage of all your voltage rails under load to make sure they are stable.

The fan could be a problem source too. Fans can sometimes be electrically noisy. If it's running on the same 5v as the USB drive, try removing it. It could also be causing airborne electromagnetic interference, so you don't want to have data lines like USB near it.

Thanks for your answers,

The 5v looks stable with a multimeter, but I will try to get an oscilloscope to check.
It's harder to get there for now but I'll test the other voltage aswel.

I don't have no fan anymore but I have speakers quite close to the drive, maybe the magnet could cause trouble.
The screen and the speakers are drawing for the +5v, I could try to remove the cable but muting the sound is not working.

My latest test was to put a usb port directly on the wire with thicker wire for the power. In theory I should be able to use this AWG 32 for the power of the usb drive because it is said to be ok until 300mA and an USB drive draws something like 100mA.

The magnet wire from the 3v3 is for the pull up to exit in YUV. I guess I have one for the bluetooth module too.
I have quite long wire so maybe it's acting as an antenna too.

If I'm correct the +5V is not required at all to be connected on the board, could I disconnect it?

Stitches

2 and a Half Dollarydoos
Staff member
Portables
In theory I should be able to use this AWG 32 for the power of the usb drive because it is said to be ok until 300mA and an USB drive draws something like 100mA.
dale wut.jpg

You'd better use thicker wire for the USB ground too, or it ain't gon work.